Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thanks for lighting the virtual campfire!
06-02-2012, 01:11 AM,
Thanks for lighting the virtual campfire!
I'm the "GW" on BGG who is quoted in Shad's OP about why a forum was needed. So I just wanted to say thanks and I'll do what I can to join in the dialogue.
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM,
RE: Thanks for lighting the virtual campfire!
(06-02-2012, 01:11 AM)broadsword Wrote: I'm the "GW" on BGG who is quoted in Shad's OP about why a forum was needed. So I just wanted to say thanks and I'll do what I can to join in the dialogue.

Would like to echo the thanks. Agreed completely with the "Killing the community in order to save it" article.
06-02-2012, 03:15 AM,
Glad to see this. The Forum at Consimworld was, in my experience, prone to suppress comments critical of APL's business policies.
06-02-2012, 08:06 AM,
Don't mention it! Big Grin

(06-02-2012, 03:15 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Glad to see this. The Forum at Consimworld was, in my experience, prone to suppress comments critical of APL's business policies.

That won't happen here, unless you somehow manage to simultaneously criticize their business policies while also directly verbally abusing another member...

I'm struggling mightily to think of an example...

maybe something like "your mother is as cheap as a PDF download, DIY PG module... and just as unsatisfying!" but that'd just be silly Tongue

So yes, discussion here is unrestricted!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-02-2012, 09:38 AM,
One frequent criticism of APL is their hostility (or grudging and slow acceptance of, depending on what you read where) to digital platforms like Vassal, Cyberboard, etc.

I won't reopen that can o' worms here, but I just want to point out that it's ridiculously easy to make your own Cyberboard module for your own use. Time consuming, yes, but entirely feasible.
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM,
This is a good idea to start a discussion forum. I joined up here a few months back and I was thinking that this was one thing I thought the PG-HQ was missing. This adds an ability for us to communicate with each other.

Thank you!
06-04-2012, 10:32 AM,
I have long been a fan of ATS as well as PG (and a few others). One of the great plusses for ATS is their forum. It is well run, friendly and polite, and really builds a strong sense of community. I am thrilled to see this same thing happening with PG now. I believe as it catches on we all will come to appreciate the game and our specific gaming community even more!
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM,
(06-02-2012, 09:38 AM)broadsword Wrote: One frequent criticism of APL is their hostility (or grudging and slow acceptance of, depending on what you read where) to digital platforms like Vassal, Cyberboard, etc.

Or as people are doing now, Skype... I've not played via Skype, but could it be the deathknell for Vassal?
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM,
I don't think so Dean. Vassal has no setup or teardown costs and supports asynchronous play. For large scenarios or campaigns it would be really nice. Still secondary to the real thing, of course... but not everyone can leave all 4 maps of Cassino out for days or weeks at a time.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-05-2012, 11:23 PM,
[quote='danmsmith' pid='79' dateline='1338769937']
I have long been a fan of ATS as well as PG (and a few others). One of the great plusses for ATS is their forum. It is well run, friendly and polite, and really builds a strong sense of community. I am thrilled to see this same thing happening with PG now.

Keep in mind that the comments feature on the AAR's allows us to dialogue with posters on the events of an individual play of the game, providing the possibility of infinite micro-forums.