Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jungle roads
05-07-2014, 09:36 AM,
Jungle roads
While play some of the Saipan scenarios, one item with terrain struck me, how jungle roads and help units move off road and thought this was an interest point to discuss. Given a jungle road hex like this

The cost for a mechanized unit moving through the red arrows would be 1/2 for road and 2 for lt. jungle, but the cost for the blue arrows would be 4 (with a possible step loss) and 1/2 for the road. Motorized would be prohibited to with the blue arrows, but would not be for the red arrows.

To me this seemed a bit gamey for the terrain and wondered why I had not see it before. The main reason is that most of the games do not have this restrictive of terrain as the others in Europe. Most roads in the Europe terrain help bypass terrain that is the restricted by the same MP cost or less than than hex they are moving into, so this does not occur. But as we get more into terrain that is more restrictive I am wondering if there needs to be an update to the movement rules for moving from a road to a non-road hex.

As of the 3rd edition rules, MPs are only paid for a hex that a unit enters, with the exception for hedges, that add a MP to cross. But a unit pays the MOST expensive terrain feature it is moving into. I am wondering about an extension of this for roads something like this; when unit moving along a road moves into a non-road hex, they must use the most restrictive terrain cost of either the hex leaving or entering.

This would balance out the example above as the unit with the red arrow would have to pay the jungle cost to move, while the blue arrow would remain the most restrictive. If the blue arrow moved to 0405 instead of the road, they would continue use the beach terrain cost as they have moved onto the road but have not moved along the road.

So I put this forward as "red meat" to you all for thoughts and ideas. Here are some things I am looking for. First, do you feel this is a gamey feature of the restrictive jungle road terrain? Second, has anyone seen this in the European maps? Third, does the modification makes sense to you or not. Fourth, if not, why and what is missing?
05-07-2014, 01:51 PM,
RE: Jungle roads
I never really noticed that one before Alan. Maybe for those two hexes, if both players agree, treat them as light jungle hexes. If not, then play it the way it is and the player on the road has the advantage.
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM,
I only looked at the Bulge maps and noticed boards 10, 22, and 23 have road hexes in woods with light woods adjacent to it. Any roads with towns with two wrecks would also have the same perceived issue.

From my perspective, I see no problem. But then again, I rarely have problems after drinking some Kraken.
05-09-2014, 01:12 AM,
(05-08-2014, 01:23 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: From my perspective, I see no problem. But then again, I rarely have problems after drinking some Kraken.

Erm ? Except it makes your brain mistake fields for forests Big Grin
05-09-2014, 01:19 AM,
That was Chimay, not Kraken.
05-09-2014, 11:02 AM,
(05-08-2014, 01:23 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: I only looked at the Bulge maps and noticed boards 10, 22, and 23 have road hexes in woods with light woods adjacent to it. Any roads with towns with two wrecks would also have the same perceived issue.

From my perspective, I see no problem. But then again, I rarely have problems after drinking some Kraken.

In the European theater, it is not much of an issue, but jungle rules make them formidable barriers to movement and to be able drive one way in to a hex but be prohibited, in the reciprocal way seems odd. The other area I see this as an issue is roads through swamps. Technically, a non-amphib vehicle can enter through the road, but exit into a non-road like the swamps did not exist. To me it gives the vehicles more movement than they should have through this tough terrain.
05-09-2014, 11:48 AM,
I had somewhat of a similar issue with the PzG Modern SoI Scenario Coastal Highway. See my questions regarding the Mire rules.