Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16.51 Entering the Board
05-05-2014, 08:11 AM,
16.51 Entering the Board
The Rule says:

"Units that enter the board during the course of a scenario should be set up offboard using normal stacking limits. When the units are scheduled to enter, group them around leaders as though they were on the board, and activate them normally. Move them onto the board, counting the first hex entered as their first MP(s) spent."

So what happens when there is a column of units to enter on a road or trail? Do they line up in stacks one behind each other and the subsequent stacks pay for imaginary hexes that are off map? or do they only pay to enter the hexes on map as the rule states?
05-05-2014, 08:26 AM,
RE: 16.51 Entering the Board
They queue up and wait for room
05-05-2014, 08:37 AM,
I'm not asking if they need to wait for room to enter, I'm asking if they the second stack in the que pays 1 movement point for the "imaginary hex" they would have to enter before entering the board. The first unti moves four hexes down the road on the trail, they are infantry with a MF of 3. The next stack of units are HMGs with only a 2 MF so do they pay one for the imaginary hex and then move two move actual hexes down the raod/trail?
05-05-2014, 08:48 AM,
I'll try to be little more helpful than the count's son was...

If entering along a road, we imagine the extends out from the board hex. We then create our column off the board, each stack in an imaginary hex. Then the column moves on the board using the road movement rate.

Imagine a column of 8 trucks stacked 2 to hex. The 1st stack moves on at a cost of 1/2 MP(moving on to the board rad hex), the 2nd at 1 MP (through the off-board starting hex of the first stack, then first board hex). The last stack moving on at a cost of 2 MP (3 off-board hexes and the 1st board hex).
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-05-2014, 09:24 AM,
(05-05-2014, 08:48 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: If entering along a road, we imagine the extends out from the board hex. We then create our column off the board, each stack in an imaginary hex. Then the column moves on the board using the road movement rate.

That's how I play it also. You basically have the choice to line them up on the road in column, or set them all up next to separate entry hexes and move them all on at once (and lose the road movement bonus). My choice usually depends on how far the entry edge is from the nearest enemy.
05-05-2014, 10:16 AM,
Thanks.
05-05-2014, 10:29 AM,
(05-05-2014, 08:48 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I'll try to be little more helpful than the count's son was...

If entering along a road, we imagine the extends out from the board hex. We then create our column off the board, each stack in an imaginary hex. Then the column moves on the board using the road movement rate.

Imagine a column of 8 trucks stacked 2 to hex. The 1st stack moves on at a cost of 1/2 MP(moving on to the board rad hex), the 2nd at 1 MP (through the off-board starting hex of the first stack, then first board hex). The last stack moving on at a cost of 2 MP (3 off-board hexes and the 1st board hex).

Peter, the MPs are not quite right. Entry by column is no different than entry abreast. The last sentence of 16.51 states "counting the first hex entered a their first MP(s) spent." Given that units move individually, this means that each unit just pays 1 MP to enter the board.
05-05-2014, 07:04 PM,
Alan is right as per the rules, but Peter's interpretation of them seems to be more logical. I would stick to the rules in this case.
05-05-2014, 10:21 PM,
(05-05-2014, 08:37 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: I'm not asking if they need to wait for room to enter, I'm asking if they the second stack in the que pays 1 movement point for the "imaginary hex" they would have to enter before entering the board. The first unti moves four hexes down the road on the trail, they are infantry with a MF of 3. The next stack of units are HMGs with only a 2 MF so do they pay one for the imaginary hex and then move two move actual hexes down the raod/trail?

And that's why I wrote "Queue them up"

You'd already shown the quote from the rules which clearly states

" counting the first hex entered as their first MP(s) spent."

As I thought that was obvious from the inserted quote you had posted I couldn't see what the 'imaginary' point was about. Therefore, they queue up and wait ?
05-06-2014, 08:05 AM,
Thanks everyone for your responses. I understand now that units in column entering from off-board expend their first MP in the first actual hex they enter. I was checking to see if there has been any changes since the rule came out because it seems logical that you would line them up and pay for hexes traversed off-map. I guess the RAW just keep it simple.