Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] 14.31 Fleeing
04-27-2014, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014, 12:27 AM by pmaidhof.)
14.31 Fleeing
While getting back into the system solo, I need to clarify a situation I have come across: A Demoralized unit is in a Town hex and within spotting distance of THE enemy unit that can still hurt it. It fails its Recovery roll. I believe that the unit is required to flee, despite already being in a town hex "safe" hex.

Thanks

Pete
04-27-2014, 01:09 AM,
RE: 14.31 Fleeing
(04-27-2014, 12:26 AM)pmaidhof Wrote: While getting back into the system solo, I need to clarify a situation I have come across: A Demoralized unit is in a Town hex and within spotting distance of THE enemy unit that can still hurt it. It fails its Recovery roll. I believe that the unit is required to flee, despite already being in a town hex "safe" hex.

Thanks

Pete

YES. if the unit fails recovery and can be ranged by a LOS weapon that can hurt it, it must continue to flee to a new safe hex out of LOS.

My follow-question to having similar situations, is - does a unit flee off-board vs. shifting laterally around the board to a find a safe hex? My practice has always been "YES" because the board is not the end of the world and a unit will flee away further from the enemy LOS vs. shifting laterally in LOS.
04-27-2014, 01:15 AM,
(04-27-2014, 01:09 AM)armyduck95 Wrote: YES. if the unit fails recovery and can be ranged by a LOS weapon that can hurt it, it must continue to flee to a new safe hex out of LOS.

My follow-question to having similar situations, is - does a unit flee off-board vs. shifting laterally around the board to a find a safe hex? My practice has always been "YES" because the board is not the end of the world and a unit will flee away further from the enemy LOS vs. shifting laterally in LOS.

Thanks ArmyDuck95 for the quick response. Sorry for misclassifying in the Q&A Folder.
04-27-2014, 02:15 AM,
Quote:does a unit flee off-board vs. shifting laterally around the board to a find a safe hex? My practice has always been "YES"

ArmyDuck95, based on 16.52 is no. It is stated in the last sentence "Those that would be forced to exit but cannot (like fleeing demoralized units in a scenario that doesn't allow units to exit) remain in the board-edge hex." So they would flee to the edge then if they must continue to flee and cannot, they stop there, just like a fleeing unit that is surrounded but not in a assault.
04-29-2014, 09:44 AM,
(04-27-2014, 02:15 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
Quote:does a unit flee off-board vs. shifting laterally around the board to a find a safe hex? My practice has always been "YES"

ArmyDuck95, based on 16.52 is no. It is stated in the last sentence "Those that would be forced to exit but cannot (like fleeing demoralized units in a scenario that doesn't allow units to exit) remain in the board-edge hex." So they would flee to the edge then if they must continue to flee and cannot, they stop there, just like a fleeing unit that is surrounded but not in a assault.

Well shucks -I guess that proves me wrong. I'll just have to play house rules. Smile
04-29-2014, 10:15 AM,
I look at the edge of the board fleeing that even though it may seem unrealistic, I believe that that it abstracts the unit fleeing off board. Many games have units eliminated if they flee off the board, but it really means they have just moved away from fight no necessarily eliminated. I believe that even off board, they could play a role in the battle by possibly recovering and possibly rejoining the fight, or they can just be eliminated.

By having them stop at the edge, they still have give both options to occur as well as degrading the other fighting force, as they will be required to recover as well as be a target for enemy OBA to get a cheap step loss for VC's. So although it maybe an odd game rule versus reality, in the bigger picture I think it is a good abstraction. Or at least a good one for now until one of our PG geniuses dream up another.
04-29-2014, 11:12 AM,
I like your explanation. yes it is a good abstraction
04-29-2014, 11:14 AM,
Thanks, I too have wondered about rules many times, but after some though and play I find they work eventually.