Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laser cut games
07-07-2012, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM by Matt W.)
RE: Laser cut games
Played four WotE scenarios and the smell is gone but the counters remain gorgeous. As I mentioned before they feel more like wood than cardboard - sturdier and more substantial. This may be an illusion but it's a darn good one...
No "minor" country left behind...
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM,
I have to second Matt here, the counters really do feel like they are made of solid wood.
07-07-2012, 10:46 AM,
My KSF counters were seriously barbecued. Major scorch marks on the light green RKKA, major soot on my fingers (I wiped the countersheets with a paper towel before punching and it got very dirty), and major smell of mesquite!

I really hope they don't use laser cut counters very often, certainly not for any big boxed games. I'd rather make my own than get these in a supplement.
07-07-2012, 11:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012, 11:50 AM by pmaidhof.)
I have no idea why, but my copy of Kursk: SF's laser cut counters have no discernable smell and only very minor scorch marks. I'd actually like more games with the laser cut counters and would even spring for a copy of the Beyond Normady counters as I just got my hands on that game earlier this week and the notoriously thin counters are screaming for the laser treatment.
07-07-2012, 11:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM by Blackcloud6.)
I like the laser cut counters very much. So much that I would prefer all the PG counters be laser cut from now on.
07-07-2012, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM by larry marak.)
I'm happy with my laser cuts sets, but I haven't had particularly bad sheets either. My understanding is that Dr. B. originally wasn't going to do laser cutting for major releases, but Kursk SF needed to get out soon to stimulate wholesaler orders, and so economy was sacrificed for visability. His supplier can't create large quantities of counters, which is part of the reason that Kursk is taking many weeks to ship. It may be that actual fresh NEW MONEY generated by the release of SF with permit the printing of other large games by conventional means.

The next two releases to get the Goldfinger treatment are apparently the Kaiser's Navy for The Second Great War at Sea series, using SWWAS rules, and an expanded Confederate States Navy for GWAS.

Books with counters will probably always be laser cut.