Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laser cut games
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM by Dean_P.)
Laser cut games
For those who have punched out PL, WotE or K: SF, did you find your fingers got either ink or smoke residue on them after taking them out of the sprues? I just did PL and noticed what almost looked like newsprint ink on my fingers. It didn't smell like smoke, so I don't think it was the cutting process.

By the way, when I opened PL I didn't smell the smoke smell others had mentioned. I did, however, smell it once the counters were removed from the sprues.
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM,
RE: Laser cut games
Maybe I'm just masked off by old man smell (I'll be 62 Aug 5), but I didn't smell anything from the countersheets (I punched them outdoors though). No ink came off, the counters actually seem superior to die cut counters, despite the laser burn traces.

There are going to be a LOT more laser cut modules and boxed games.
06-27-2012, 09:05 PM,
I did notice a slight odor but it was not terribly noticable. I also noticed some scorch marks, especially on the lighter colored War on the Equator pieces (primarily on the counter backs) but this was completely acceptable given the overall quality of the counters. Daniel and I have been playing through WotE and I like the "feel" of the counters better. In a way they feel like wood rather than paper. I know that is a perceptual thing but I enjoy it.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-27-2012, 11:07 PM,
(06-27-2012, 09:05 PM)Matt W Wrote: I did notice a slight odor but it was not terribly noticable. I also noticed some scorch marks,

Sorry, just where did I leave my post-curry underpants ?
06-27-2012, 11:35 PM,
/vomits
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-27-2012, 11:44 PM,
(06-27-2012, 11:07 PM)vince hughes Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 09:05 PM)Matt W Wrote: I did notice a slight odor but it was not terribly noticable. I also noticed some scorch marks,

Sorry, just where did I leave my post-curry underpants ?

So THAT"S why so many people play via Skype rather than face to face...
No "minor" country left behind...
06-28-2012, 04:15 AM,
I smoke smell goes away after one play.
06-30-2012, 03:25 AM,
I got residue on my fingers from KSF counters too! Had to wash my hands after punching out the counters.

It looked (and smelled a little) like I had been working the barbecue...
07-01-2012, 12:10 AM,
(06-30-2012, 03:25 AM)patman Wrote: I got residue on my fingers from KSF counters too! Had to wash my hands after punching out the counters.

It looked (and smelled a little) like I had been working the barbecue...

The smoke smell was so faint on my counters (even after punching them out) that I couldn't tell if the residue was smoke-related or ink-related.

It will be interesting to see how these counters stand up to long-term usage.
07-07-2012, 03:54 AM,
The good news is, after you punch & clip the counters, wash your hands and play a game, you never have that problem again, as the smoke smell goes away and after you punch the counters the residue goes away as well. After playing 7 scenarios from KSF, I know, its all good!