Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hex Control
06-26-2012, 08:55 PM,
Hex Control
When the VC calls out for control of a town hex, I'm assuming that they're talking about UNDISPUTED control of a hex? In other words, if there's an assault still in progress and neither side is in clear-cut control, that hex wouldn't count for either side?

I'm currently wrapping up a cliffhanger of a scenario with such a VC. Gentlemen, the fate of the totalitarian world depends on your answers! Smile
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM,
RE: Hex Control
Correct.

One point of 'contrare' is that some players state DEM units exert no control and others say they do.
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM,
Control is precisely undisputed. The term for a hex held by both players is "contested".
No "minor" country left behind...
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM,
(06-26-2012, 09:32 PM)vince hughes Wrote: One point of 'contrare' is that some players state DEM units exert no control and others say they do.

That is interesting. What is the basis for saying that it is not controlled by a DEM unit?
06-26-2012, 11:03 PM,
I think it stems from VC's in many scenarios that state similar things to:

"and must clear east-west road of any undemoralised enemy"

That sort of thing ?

There are also the assaults where a DEM reduced unit is the last remaining unit 'contesting' control of a hex .............. Is it contesting in such a state (shrugs).
06-26-2012, 11:35 PM,
(06-26-2012, 10:43 PM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: What is the basis for saying that it is not controlled by a DEM unit?

(06-26-2012, 11:03 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I think it stems from VC's in many scenarios that state similar things to:

That sort of thing ?

There are also the assaults where a DEM reduced unit is the last remaining unit 'contesting' control of a hex .............. Is it contesting in such a state (shrugs).

We have a clarification at the end of Rule 1.2 in the Annotated Rules that says DEM units cannot control hexes.

To play Devil's Advocate for the sake of furthering the discussion: if I rallied a DEM INF, failed, and it fled to the nearest safe hex which happened to be an empty town hex that was - until that activation - last occupied by you and therefore under your control, do I now control that hex?

Rules as written? Yes.
Gut feeling? I don't like it.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-27-2012, 01:42 AM,
(06-26-2012, 11:35 PM)Shad Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 10:43 PM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: What is the basis for saying that it is not controlled by a DEM unit?

(06-26-2012, 11:03 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I think it stems from VC's in many scenarios that state similar things to:

That sort of thing ?

We have a clarification at the end of Rule 1.2 in the Annotated Rules that says DEM units cannot control hexes.

To play Devil's Advocate for the sake of furthering the discussion: if I rallied a DEM INF, failed, and it fled to the nearest safe hex which happened to be an empty town hex that was - until that activation - last occupied by you and therefore under your control, do I now control that hex?

Rules as written? Yes.
Gut feeling? I don't like it.

Well your annotated rules clarification states that it would not control it anyway as it is still DEM, or do you mean without the clarification.

I can only say that if I was clearing a town and sweated 'how many buckets' doing so only to lose the game to a DEM unit sitting in it, I'd feel a little hard done by Confused

I personally don't like DEMs credited with control
06-27-2012, 02:29 AM,
Thought this was resolved is a forum far far away from here, or is it time to rehash?
06-27-2012, 03:07 AM,
i think you'll find the fella in post one asked a rules question ?
06-27-2012, 10:00 AM,
I wouldn't let a DEM unit control anything. That's why I wrote victory conditions that said things like "Side X wins if all town hexes are free of undemoralized Side-Y units at the end of play."