Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bug logging a solo play in Iceweasel/Firefox
02-27-2014, 06:36 AM,
bug logging a solo play in Iceweasel/Firefox
In Iceweasel/Firefox 24.3.0, when I click to log a solo play, nothing happens; I've definitely clicked it, but nothing new appears.

So I tried it in Midori, and it worked fine.

===

And a second bug:

I tried subscribing (both in Iceweasel and in Midori) to the old OBA thread
http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.ph...252&page=4
by clicking "Subscribe to this thread" at the bottom, but an error message appears:

Quote:Authorization code mismatch. Are you accessing this function correctly? Please go back and try again.
02-27-2014, 05:59 PM,
RE: bug logging a solo play in Iceweasel/Firefox
I have found the PGHQ site almost refuses to go to another page once I have viewed 5 or 6 pages. Sometimes it takes an age and others it spends its time trying to connect. Its definitely the site and not my old abacus that has been converted to a lap top because it does not happen on any other site.

Trying to log plays just about gets there, but when doing an AAR I have to make sure to highlight and copy because once I press send, the page can be lost. very tempremental. Shad did once mention there is also a delay or some kind of problem as the site hub is in China. Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.
03-01-2014, 08:27 PM,
(02-27-2014, 05:59 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Shad did once mention there is also a delay or some kind of problem as the site hub is in China. Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

No he didn't!

PG-HQ is hosted on a server in Texas.

Shad is Emperor of China.

Get it straight buddy!

(Russ I'll check into these bugs ASAP.)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-02-2014, 05:20 AM,
(02-27-2014, 05:59 PM)vince hughes Wrote: I have found the PGHQ site almost refuses to go to another page once I have viewed 5 or 6 pages. Sometimes it takes an age and others it spends its time trying to connect. Its definitely the site and not my old abacus that has been converted to a lap top because it does not happen on any other site.

Trying to log plays just about gets there, but when doing an AAR I have to make sure to highlight and copy because once I press send, the page can be lost. very tempremental. Shad did once mention there is also a delay or some kind of problem as the site hub is in China. Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

Vince, that's why I started doing my AARs in a text editor first (like MS Word or notepad) then doing the spell check and then copying the text to the AAR text entry. I then format and submit and if I lose it, no problem, just do it again!

Of course, after some of our battles, I wish i would have lost the AARs!
03-02-2014, 09:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM by Poor Yorek.)
I would twice now have lost an AAR because of some weirdness with my computer: it's as though some "short" or other happens but the screen goes from the AAR text back to the "play list" and I can't recover the AAR text. What seems to produce this is that my thumbs rest down on the frame rather than stay above the space bar. Fortunately, after the first time this happened (and after I stopped ranting), I started doing what tlangston suggested above. This doesn't or hasn't happened here on the MB.

In any case, just wanted to 'second' tlangston's advice.

PY
03-02-2014, 09:54 AM,
I do apologize for the AAR bit. I'm glad you're copying to another text editor before submission. I would very much like to move PG-HQ to a stronger hosting platform, but it will add another zero to my annual server fees and I'm neither in the financial position to do that nor willing to pass the hat. Maybe by the end of this year...

Russ,

The subscription error is due to a problem post-forum upgrade. You're the first person to discover anything wrong, so congratulations! Smile I get the same error and am on the case.
03-02-2014, 08:33 PM,
Not that I would normally do this, but PGHQ and PG provide me with God knows how many (I was going to say hours but lets be honest here) ... days (weeks ??) a yearof entertainment.

As I am a gamer that is not a buying addict by buying loads of new games a year as they are released, it means PG is probably 90% of my gaming habit. Therefore, and I'm sure you wouldn't like or are embarrassed to ask (like Jay holding due to ratings hehe), but perhaps an annual voluntary contribution would be committed by some to a Paypal account or something.

No way am I saying their should be subscriptions and no way saying everybody should donate something. All I am saying is that there are some who may send 10-20-50 quid or whatever. I have no idea what it costs and wonder what YOU get out of it unless it is the sheer joy of giving :-) Just an option. CSW gets by with plenty of people not contributing so it does not lean on people to give (I don't, but I would here).
03-03-2014, 12:31 AM,
Sorry mate, I won't accept it.

If you want to "pay me back" you can go recruit some more PG players. Smile
03-03-2014, 04:28 AM,
(03-03-2014, 12:31 AM)Shad Wrote: Sorry mate, I won't accept it.
If you want to "pay me back" you can go recruit some more PG players. Smile

I just wanted to write to reiterate Vince's post or at least to say that there are others who might offer similar support were it to be needed (e.g. for a server upgrade or maintenance). Don't be concerned to ask, Shad. And it could be done anonymously so that there need be no concern for a two-tiered membership or what have you.

I guess you could say that I "recruited" TheDoctor. More like created a monster. :-)

As for my AAR issue, it seems like a recent thing. I've had trouble with my computer with the cursor suddenly relocating and such - it just recently seems to have manifested itself when submitting AARs in the manner I described. My compy is quite old now (> 6 years) so it might be totally on my end. In any case, hope you (Shad) didn't take my post as a "get on and fix it" complaint. I am glad, though, that I wrote this last AAR in Word and cut-and-pasted.
03-03-2014, 08:50 AM,
(03-03-2014, 04:28 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: In any case, hope you (Shad) didn't take my post as a "get on and fix it" complaint. I am glad, though, that I wrote this last AAR in Word and cut-and-pasted.

Not at all. Sadly, I had to adopt the copy+send (and maybe paste and resend) approach years ago because of the way China likes to play games with the outside internet.