Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM,
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me
(02-26-2014, 07:33 PM)russ Wrote: I hit upon a few things I wasn't sure of (in case anyone can answer these easily)...

1. Can you simply order off-board artillery strikes during ANY of your activations as desired, in addition to whatever on-board activation you do? Or is it instead of doing a "normal" unit activation?

(PS: I do see now the additional info that "Only three offboard artillery factors or fire values may be used per activation segment." in the online annotated rules - that is useful to know! I didn't know it during my first solo play yesterday so the Germans did some very heavy barrages early on...)

2. Do I understand correctly that when you activate multiple units:
If any of them are demoralized, then you MUST do the recovery check for them (instead of move or fire).
If any of them are disrupted, then you MAY CHOOSE to do a recovery check for them or to do normal movement or firing with them.
Is all that right?

3. 14.42 was a bit confusing:
Quote:14.42 Required Recovery

Every demoralized unit must attempt recovery at some point during the course of a turn (owning player chooses when). Thus, a player may not "pass" if he has demoralized units that haven't activated this turn - they must try to recover.
I THINK it means merely that IF you activate a demoralized unit, THEN you must try to recover it, BUT it's possible and legal that you don't activate it (because you run out of activations) and therefore don't try to recover it... right? The essential point of the rule is simply that IF you have any demoralized units, then you're not allowed to pass... right? But you're not FORCED to activate specifically demoralized units if you have a choice... or are you?

---

Are there any highly recommended rule summaries / charts / cheat sheets to download? E.g. concisely listing all the various effects of morale / disrupted / demoralized in different rule sections, or concisely listing all the ways a leader might be eliminated, etc? That sort of summary could be helpful.

1/ An activation may consist of you either activating on-board resources OR off-board, but not both. If you do activate off-board artillery (OBA), then you can combine up to 3 modules (ie: 2 x 12 + 1 x 20 = 44pts so use the 42col). You may wish to use just one or two modules, but three is the max that can be combined. You also can not activate 3 x modules of OBA at once and have them all fire at different hexes. Any OBA activated in the same activation segment (AS) must be used at the same hex.

2. DISRUPTED units can be activated to move or fire. Also, bare in mind that a recovery activation counts as a move activation anyway (for DIS & DEM counters). So there is no 'recovery' "Instead of move/fire" it is a MOVE activation. This is an important distinction in games where you play a live opponent.

If DIS units are activated to fire, they do so at 1/2 strength (rounded up). If they are activated to move, they may move only one hex. They also CAN NOT enter an assault but may attack at half-strength if already in an assault.

Are there any highly recommended rule summaries / charts / cheat sheets to download? E.g. concisely listing all the various effects of morale / disrupted / demoralized in different rule sections, or concisely listing all the ways a leader might be eliminated, etc? That sort of summary could be helpful.

Probably, I'm not sure, but a play ftf or on Skype with the good few involved in such may well teach you a lot very quickly !

Messages In This Thread
8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by Shad - 02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by Shad - 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by vince hughes - 02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 06:30 AM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 08:42 AM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 05:29 PM
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me - by russ - 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM