Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me
02-27-2014, 07:38 AM,
RE: 8.4 Elevation makes no sense to me
Not so fast there. Back in the days of the semi-official FAQ, I asked this same question and was emphatically told that you can fire 1-3 OBA factors at a total of 1 hex per activation. Period. That bit has made its way into the annotated rules here at PG-HQ; see 9.2. I can't do links or I'd have done so.

Peace. Michael
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
02-27-2014, 07:38 AM,
(02-27-2014, 07:21 AM)richvalle Wrote: Trying to get a grip on this OBA question. So the consensus is that in one activation segment you can activate 3 factors of oba (3x16 for example) and in that AS hit 3 different hexes (all viewed from the same leader that is doing the spotting or up to 3 separate leaders?), hit 1 hex with 2 factors (16x2) and other hex with 1x16 or one hex with all 3?

That is definitely not how I've been playing it. We've been activating up to 3 factors and only able to drop it onto one hex in a AS.

rv

No that is not the consensus. Its 1 person, plus another being drawn in on it.

The way you have been playing is correct.
02-27-2014, 07:41 AM,
(02-27-2014, 07:38 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Not so fast there. Back in the days of the semi-official FAQ, I asked this same question and was emphatically told that you can fire 1-3 OBA factors at a total of 1 hex per activation. Period. That bit has made its way into the annotated rules here at PG-HQ; see 9.2. I can't do links or I'd have done so.

Peace. Michael

Mike,

Thanks for the underlining of my point I am labouring here to get across to the couple that don't know.

I'm afraid Alan's post seems to be causing a lot of confusion now. He'd do well to delete IMO.
02-27-2014, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM by russ.)
Hmm, so the OBA question is actually still not clearly resolved?

Shad wrote in http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.ph...29#pid2229 that

Quote:Those 3 can be on individual hexes, 2 hexes, or all three on 1 hex as is your pleasure.

I.e. you're not forced to combine your 3 strikes in one action (although you may combine them, of course).

That seemed to be the resolution of that OBA thread. Is that not correct?
02-27-2014, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM by vince hughes.)
(02-27-2014, 06:30 AM)russ Wrote: So it seems that the printed rules (and even the online annotated rules too) don't specify that you CAN target different hexes with your 3 off-board artillery strikes in the same action... but officially you can, right? You don't have to combine them against a single target in a single action of OBA strikes, based on that linked thread.

Russ,

You seem to be misreading parts of this thread wrong as well as the rules. The consensus is not that at all.

No you can not OBA multiple hexes in one activation phase. You can use 1, 2 or 3 modules to Bombard one hex.

The last time I will quote these rules and then everybody can get on with what they do ;

7.33 paragraph 3 and
9.3 paragraph 2

And of course look through the debate again and see the only 2 players who were not sure are one where English is not his first language (so the rules are not as obvious to him as an English reader, plus another player who has just been visited by a strange new cult Big Grin)
02-27-2014, 07:55 AM,
(02-27-2014, 07:49 AM)russ Wrote: Hmm, so the OBA question is actually still not clearly resolved?

Shad wrote in http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.ph...29#pid2229 that

Quote:Those 3 can be on individual hexes, 2 hexes, or all three on 1 hex as is your pleasure.

I.e. you're not forced to combine your 3 strikes in one action (although you may combine them, of course).

That seemed to be the resolution of that OBA thread. Is that not correct?

No it isn;t correct.
02-27-2014, 08:00 AM,
(02-27-2014, 07:49 AM)russ Wrote: Hmm, so the OBA question is actually still not clearly resolved?

Russ,

Its up to you isn't it.

There is little resolving to do here as you claim. The rule number quotes in previous posts quite clearly tell you what you can do. If you read them otherwise then play that way. I can assure you, in playing 10, 11 or 12 live opponents, not one has tried to play it your way at all.
02-27-2014, 08:03 AM,
Yeah, I never thought to do it any other way.

Wow, we sure ended up off topic from Hill Elevations. Smile

Thanks for the input Vince and others.

rv
02-27-2014, 08:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014, 08:14 AM by campsawyer.)
There were a thread can go from 0-40 in no time.

Let me clarify my clarification because I believe that it being thought that I am advocating a rules change. No, that is not the case. I still believe that it is a one shot with 3 OBA's at one hex. There is just a hole in the rules that could be read as being multiple shots in one hex. That is it, period.

I leave it to others to debate whether they wish to play this way or not.

BTW, I am so surprised the hill and elevation thread was so small before this. But it has all happened before.
02-27-2014, 08:13 AM,
The PG rule-set should open with rule 1.0

"Players may only DO what they read within the ruleset and not what is NOT written"

I'm pretty sure that asking about what is not written is how my beloved SL morphed into the monster rulebook that became ASL.

I'd like to avoid that again, though I wonder how many pages the new 4th ed will have ..... 24 pages ? (at least)