Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unit question
02-22-2014, 04:44 PM,
Unit question
I've been doing a little research on vehicles in Panzer Grenadier, just so I can imagine what they look like when I'm playing a scenario. So far I've been stumped on one unit.

Does anyone know the actual name of the Austrian SII Armored Car, or anything else about it? I can't find anything online about an Austrian armored car matching the counter art.

Thanks,
Robin
02-23-2014, 12:18 AM,
RE: Unit question
From overhead it looks like a locally produced Morris CS9, Marmon Harrington III or Rolls Royce AC or a variant of one of those. Sorry can't get any closer.
02-23-2014, 02:46 PM,
I don't know about the SII. Nothing like that appears in any of my nots, though I haven't checked War Wheels yet. (Perhaps tomorrow.) It does resemble the Rolls Royce and Lancaster Mk II armored cars. Since the Allies were being rather anal about military equipment for the former Central Powers, such purchases are unlikely. The Austrian section from Robert Icks book says this.
Quote:An Austrian car, the PA 1, was built on an Austro-Daimler truck chassis in 1916 but was used very little. In design it was much inferior to the 1904 car built by Austro-Daimler. A commercial car, the Romfell, was built in Austria in 1916. Although an excellent car for the period, it did not go into production.

Peace treaties forbade Austria the use of any armored vehicles except for police duty, and none were built. Major Fritz Heigl, the famous Austrian tank authority, kept interest alive, and, in 1926, designed the M26, a dummy armored car for instructional purposes, of which several were built. In 1932 Austria purchased several used Skoda PA 2 cars from Czechoslovakia and modified them by adding a small observation cupola above the main turret.

Beginning in 1933, the Austro-Daimler firm (later Steyr-Daimler-Puch) built several interesting armored car types. By 1935, the former Central Powers had renounced the treaty limitations, and this firm began producing vehicles for the Austrian Army and commercially for sale to foreign countries. The ADGZ car was adopted in numbers by the Gendarmerie as well as the Army. Fiat-Ansaldo CV3/33 light tanks were purchased from Italy. The infantry were equipped with a small wheel-and-track machine-gun carrier of several models, perfected by the Daimler Company.

After the Nazi invasion of Austria, German equipment was substituted. Known Austrian vehicles are as follows:

ADAZ-6 x 6 Armored Car with Turret: 1935
ADGK-6 x 6 Armored Car, Resembled, U.S. Ml Armored Car: 1934
ADGP-6 x 6 Built on Commercial Truck Chassis: 1935
ADGZ-8 x 6 Symmetrical Hull with Turret: 1933
ADGZ—Same with slope sided Turret: 1934
ADGZ—Same, Production Model. (Commercial): 1934
ADKP-4 x 4 Turret: 1937
ADKZ-6 x 6, Resembled Christie Tank M-1919: 1938
ADMK—Wheel and track machine gun carrier called "Mulus": 1935
BABY—Small 4 x Scout Car without Turret: 1938

Of the list, the SII most resembles the ADGK, slightly less so the ADGP.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-25-2014, 01:54 AM,
Thanks very much for the answer, especially the history.

Robin
02-25-2014, 08:21 AM,
No problems, through the magic of OCR software.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking