Poll: Would Alamein and Pursuit work?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
no, not appropriate for PG
0%
0 0%
I want it!
100.00%
14 100.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
El Alamein and the Pursuit
02-20-2014, 01:52 AM,
El Alamein and the Pursuit
Afrika Corps and Desert War end right before Ruweiset Ridge, Alamein, and the Pursuit campaign that followed. Tunisia ( I believe), covers the American forces from Morocco to Tunis. I've commented over at consimworld that the Alamein game support material would be great for a PG Alamein game. My question here is do you think 1st and 2nd Alamein would be too static for a PG game?
02-20-2014, 02:00 AM,
RE: El Alamein and the Pursuit
Larry, I am not sure how to respond to your poll. You ask if El Alamein will work, but both answers seem to be affirming that they would?
02-20-2014, 02:58 AM,
Larry,

I would like PG scenarios on the subject for sure.

However, I personally don't see why all these things seem to being brought in as boxed games. I would be happy to have things as book supplements with maps and counters included.

For example, Lib 44 could have been produced as a book supplement containing
4 x maps
British and German counters not included elsewhere in the PG realm.
Scenario book.

This leaves out marker counters, duplicate British RIF, WPN and a slew of armour and transports not to mention the ubiquitous GREN's. It downsizes the package by far, saves postage costs and has got to be a whole lot easier to produce in regard to counter-numbers. If the idea is that each release is playable as of itself, then maybe they should produce a few box-sets, I don't know. HOWEVER, if there is some grand PG plan in the future to produce monster of all monster PG scenarios, then I can see why box-sets are released as they are. Its all in preparation for the super-size games :-)

Back to your Alamein idea.

A book with scenarios
Any missing counter OOB
Maps

Keep it simple, light-weight and cheap.
02-20-2014, 04:08 AM,
Vince,

I expect the next Desert game involving primarily British Commonwealth units to be laser-cut. It makes too much sense from a marketing point of view if Avalanche Press wants to grow the fan base.

Do I want it?

I want Canadians, Greeks, and Chinese.

Would I buy it?

Probably.
02-20-2014, 05:00 AM,
Yes, I messed up on setting up the poll, and can't seem to fix it, the first response is no, the second is yes.

I wonder if Mike doesn't want to have a PG Alamein out there while there is still the Alamein battalion level game to sell. I've enjoyed the content, as it illustrates units in AK and DRats.
02-20-2014, 07:02 AM,
Of course I would buy it as the 2nd battle of El Alamein was the turning point of the desert war. As far as play being static I believe the appropriate SSRs would bring enough into it to make it more than a bunch of repetitive trench assaults; I imagine a lot of potential ammunition and fuel supply shortages for Germany and Britain using many hidden or decoy units. I don't think any new maps would be needed between the 5 from both 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats'; parts of both battles of El Alamein were covered loosely with 'The King's Officers' using maps 4 and 5. A book with a small countersheet containing the needed armor units such as the lend-lease Shermans and even a handful of Tiger I tanks in desert scheme. What would irk me is if the ownership of 'Beyond Normandy' or 'Liberation 44' were needed for the armored units. I've about had it with PG books requiring the ownership of more than two different boxed sets and/or additional books to complete all the given scenarios. But then there's the new ultra-thick counter issue and the question of if AP intends only producing those in the future. From what I've heard they aren't very compatible with the standard ones. It wouldn't surprise me for the sake of sales that AP would wait until after the release of 'An Army at Dawn' and release a scenario book requiring the ownership of three boxed desert war games to complete it.
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM,
Ok, Larry I get the poll now thanks.

I think it would be a good game, just no one has taken up the design flag on this one. Sounds like you have a good start on it, email Mike B. if you want to design it.
02-20-2014, 08:08 AM,
I would consider buying such a game as a supplement with maps. I'm on strike when it comes to counters. Since I already have BN, AK, DR, & Cassino, equipment isn't an issue (and I hate the counters made from Masonite). I don't know if that translates into a yes or no vote on your poll. Put the mark where you feel it is appropriate. If you make a downloadable module, I'm definitely in.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-20-2014, 08:29 AM,
Regarding counters, this is a post from the SWWAS forum on CSW from APL Support:

The Luxembourg counters are even better than the Torpedo Boats pieces: great print quality, smooth finish, absolutely no scorching or soot. That caused the last-minute PG switch from ultra-thick to this new type.

Have not decided what to do for the next naval game.

I read this as they have pulled back from the ultra-thick to a more realistic sized counter. I have the TB counters mentioned and they are about half the size of the monsters. The problem is we now have some games with really thick counters and some with really thin. God help you if you mix BN with LIB. Those Brits will be either too thin or to fat.
02-20-2014, 08:40 AM,
I was planning on making my own counters for the leaders & unique equipment for Lib44. They come out to be about 35 mils, close enough to the 40 mil standard counter. The likelihood of my mixing the games directly is low. 1/2 thickness would make the counters 60-65 mils. Have you got some calipers handy? A definitive measurement would be nice, it it could be arranged. I do like the texture of the new counters, and the scorching has has comedown to a quite acceptable level. I still have Saipan & Burning Tigers out there. I am curious, and apprehensive, about what will ultimately come.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking