Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese units in PG - unstoppable hamsters?
02-17-2014, 05:13 PM,
Chinese units in PG - unstoppable hamsters?
Jay mentioned Chinese enter the OOB with his third Korean War boxed game. This got me thinking a bit about units ratings...

What would you expect for Chinese infantry? (they hadn't much else, did they?)

My knee-jerk reaction is you give them the firepower of the worst Soviet units combined with the fanatical morale of the Japanese. The Chinese pouring across the Yalu were certainly well-spirited.

There are numerous reports of infantrymen jumping in front of machine guns to block the fire so their comrades could take the position. Do the Chinese get a suicidal assault "power-up" of sorts? Or can they overstack in an assault hex? Otherwise their weak equipment-based firepower ratings would artificially hurt their in-game effectiveness.

An interesting side to model...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-17-2014, 11:32 PM,
RE: Chinese units in PG - unstoppable hamsters?
Most of the CCF troops in the initial phase of the intervention were veterans of the Civil War that ended in 1949. They should have high morale and be a mix of rifle, SKS and SMG armed troops with MG's in support and mortars. CCF command made the decision to leave the heavy equipment behind due to the terrain and the expected campaign style.

Oh and don't forget the bugle's. Every account I've read mentions hearing them even over the sounds of firing.
02-18-2014, 12:33 AM,
Shad, No changes are required, I believe the core rules will model it quite nicely provided that morale and firepower are appropriate on both sides. I could see the People's Army being the same as the Soviet infantry of the current games but with a morale of either 8 or 9 to start dropping to 6 or 7 for reduced. The bigger issue will be volume of counters. Scenarios of minimum of 15-20 INF counters for the PA so they can just keep piling on the troops for an assault. It will not be easy but they will be able to do it just like the Russians, but higher morale will need to be the key for them. Also the Americans will need to be realistic with the morale 8/6 or 8/7 at best with some 7/6 scenarios.
02-18-2014, 08:38 AM,
You guys are close on many of the issues. Very good stuff but after reading about 10,000 pages of the Korean War, I think I have the answers for you in game III of the Korean War. But even though it closer to completion, I won't talk much more about it until after Games I & II are released.
02-18-2014, 12:55 PM,
Any special rule for Chinese being able to sacrifice a step to clear a minefield or wire marker? Smile
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM,
(02-18-2014, 12:55 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: Any special rule for Chinese being able to sacrifice a step to clear a minefield or wire marker? Smile

You blood-thirsty bastard !! Big Grin
02-18-2014, 11:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 11:36 PM by plloyd1010.)
(02-18-2014, 06:24 PM)vince hughes Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 12:55 PM)armyduck95 Wrote: Any special rule for Chinese being able to sacrifice a step to clear a minefield or wire marker? Smile

But that's what happened. With the Russians too. A Russian survivor of a charge across a minefield, on the way to Berlin, said '.. of course they sent the infantry across first. The Russian soldier, he understands this.' MacArthur said, "Men are cheap, tanks are expensive." Claymore mines were developed precisely because of such actions & attitudes.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM,
(02-18-2014, 11:35 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 06:24 PM)vince hughes Wrote:

But that's what happened. With the Russians too. A Russian survivor of a charge across a minefield, on the way to Berlin, said '.. of course they sent the infantry across first. The Russian soldier, he understands this.' MacArthur said, "Men are cheap, tanks are expensive." Claymore mines were developed precisely because of such actions & attitudes.
And Claymore Mines still have the best, most useful directions imprinted on them "Front Toward Enemy"