Poll: This folder is dead because...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Modern War isn't any good
0%
0 0%
I play MW but don't talk about it
9.52%
2 9.52%
I play MW but talk about it elsewhere
0%
0 0%
MW is ok, I just don't play it much
23.81%
5 23.81%
Other reasons...
66.67%
14 66.67%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This folder is dead because...
05-04-2014, 02:21 PM,
RE: This folder is dead because...
I can say PZG Modern is solid. I enjoy it very much. 4 games thus far and I feel the rules are solid and the maps are lovely. The scenarios I have played are very challenging and thought provoking dilemmas.
05-05-2014, 07:45 AM,
I've wondered if anyone was paying Sword.

I tried two scenarios solo which were kind of cool, but I felt like there were some fiddly rule bits. I'll return to it, but I'm still mostly interested in WWII for PG.
05-05-2014, 05:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM by Shad.)
Nah we don't count them as of yet. (edit to add - I can't believe I'm getting blamed for IA and MW not being played! Big Grin)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-05-2014, 10:25 PM,
(05-05-2014, 05:21 PM)Shad Wrote: Nah we don't count them as of yet. (edit to add - I can't believe I'm getting blamed for IA and MW not being played! Big Grin)

Build it and they will come.
05-05-2014, 10:44 PM,
(05-05-2014, 05:21 PM)Shad Wrote: Nah we don't count them as of yet. (edit to add - I can't believe I'm getting blamed for IA and MW not being played! Big Grin)

Shad, I think you are looking at it the wrong way. I believe it is because you have this site is why PG is doing so well. It shows how the other games are lagging without the good customer support and promotion from Avalanche Press. Yes, APL does promote through Daily Content, but when you have something that people can contribute to this builds a sense of ownership that will always help a product.
05-06-2014, 08:09 AM,

Yes Shad, it is your fault! Wink Just kidding... Angel

But I agree with the others that by adding them to the site, they might get some promotion. After-all, the site covers the immediate post WWII games and the fictional ones.

How does one help get this done?
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM,
I have to admit that having the games in an HQ like utility would greatly enhance my enjoyment of the games. This holds for IA as well. Without the ability to log plays and enjoy a community the play is relatively sterile.
No "minor" country left behind...
05-10-2014, 11:21 PM,
I noticed that 'Sword of Israel' was mentioned in the AP daily content yesterday but, because it was not, to my knowledge, made available to retailers and only available direct from AP how can it or 'Modern War' PG get much exposure? Okay, we have the Korean conflict slated next; possibly in three installments and hopefully available to retailers instead of direct only. Maybe I am old-fashioned but I like discovering new games or products by walk-ins to actual shops. I would of never have discovered PG back in 2003 if I hadn't of accidentally stumbled onto a copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' sitting on a shelf back then.

I would like to see a MW (or IA) site like PG HQ if someone had the time to invest in maintaining such a site but really, if only a select, elite few can actually get a hold of the game then how could it thrive or, even more important, can the game remain in print before it reaches AP's "Valhalla"? Hopefully the 'Pusan Perimeter' and the slated Korean conflict will generate more general interest in the series and not just to a select few who only order direct from AP. As an American living in Germany there is no way I am going to pay for the shipping or other costs just to get an exclusive product but I also understand that AP is an American company and will cater to local support and online ordering first. I am thankful that 'Liberation 44' has made it to the retailers here in Germany though so there's hope in getting 4th edition games here eventually as well.
05-11-2014, 12:10 AM,
Good post Brett
05-11-2014, 02:13 AM,
Thanks Vince, and while on my soapbox I will go out on another limb. Another foreseeable problem with MWPG is that if games are going to be marketed towards Americans first and exclusively is that America hasn't "won" many modern wars. Coverage of Korea may work because the U.S. didn't win or lose that one; it just remains unfinished business after about a 70 year ceasefire. If America is going to be represented in MWPG then I don't see the masses (if there are indeed masses) rushing out to buy or play any games covering the Vietnam war unless of course it involves the earlier attempt and failure of France to pacify Indo-China. I think Avalon Hill attempted a platoon/squad level game with Vietnam (in the late 70's?) and it didn't fly that well. Of course not all Americans are that patriotic to the point that they wouldn't buy or play such games but am sure that games such as 'Battle of the Bulge'/'Elsenborn Ridge' will stay in print and sales longer for obvious reasons. I may be wrong but Americans would be more inclined to buy SOI or games covering other modern conflicts. In regards to the U.K. (Vince and Wayne) I wouldn't expect that people of the U.K. would be rushing by the masses to buy a Falklands war PG game before another title though as an American I would. Just an opinion ...