Poll: This folder is dead because...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Modern War isn't any good
0%
0 0%
I play MW but don't talk about it
9.52%
2 9.52%
I play MW but talk about it elsewhere
0%
0 0%
MW is ok, I just don't play it much
23.81%
5 23.81%
Other reasons...
66.67%
14 66.67%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This folder is dead because...
05-11-2014, 02:56 AM,
RE: This folder is dead because...
Brett, I do believe your first post is correct about a site for the Modern PG as well as IA. Not sure on the US first thoughts though. I think people have many reasons for buying/not buying, but it should be available for the world without the individual price for shipping.

As there are a lot of players in the European market, APL would look to finding some sort of distributor that can help get bulk shipping rates to get they games over for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, with the size of APL at the moment, I don't think you will see this soon, unless some takes up the challenge.
05-11-2014, 03:37 AM,
(05-11-2014, 02:56 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Brett, I do believe your first post is correct about a site for the Modern PG as well as IA. Not sure on the US first thoughts though. I think people have many reasons for buying/not buying, but it should be available for the world without the individual price for shipping.

As there are a lot of players in the European market, APL would look to finding some sort of distributor that can help get bulk shipping rates to get they games over for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, with the size of APL at the moment, I don't think you will see this soon, unless some takes up the challenge.

I wasn't trying to send mixed signals Alan. Perhaps I was thinking of the general mindset of what American wargame players may be inclined to buy or play first; especially one that hasn't experienced PG or AP as of yet. MW will hopefully pick up with Korea as a springboard into the series more so than SOI. I know many of us here at the site are interested in battles or theaters of war that are not as well known or covered regardless of nationalities/conflicts represented. Still irked that I will likely never get a copy of 'Conquest of Ethiopia' in my hands because of it's direct order only availablity. It seems that AP is more interested in getting new customers in than catering to the older ones. It seems that more older titles are being discontinued than the new ones actually making it into print. That's all. Still optimistic about AP's and PG/MW/IA's future.
05-11-2014, 12:03 PM,
Your issues are not new and have been around for a few years, given that APL is a 2 person show for the moment. We are stuck paying the premium for it. Don't get me wrong, I like the games, but the company is has issues. I understand you are venting similar frustrations that we all have. Spending a lot for game and then doubling it for the shipping is not fun. APL burning it's bridges with retailers is a shame. There are a few stores that I know of in Boston, New York and Connecticut have some old stock, but they don't get anything new. Heck some they will give away for a song, just to clear the shelf.
05-11-2014, 08:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM by Brett Nicholson.)
Funny you should mention that because after I bought the last game off the shelf at the one gameshop here in Düsseldorf the retailer said that they wouldn't be ordering anymore PG products to carry in stock and I did get a very good price for 'Airborne IE' (20€); 'Eastern Front Deluxe'(50€) and 'Guadalcanal'(25€) there. There is another gaming store here that has cut back their price of 'Fall of France' to just 53€ just to clear it from their inventory. The one online German retailer seems to be getting new products in though and the prices are decent as well. The one time I used them they delivered in just 3 days.
Anyway, back to topic. I suppose another concern with MW is the span of years it would attempt to cover; 1950 to present day. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the American units froma Korea game for a Vietnam supplement or units from a Vietnam game for a Gulf War or Afghanistan expansion. So that if the series continues it may not be as interchangeable as WWII PG having roughly just a 6 year span and where technology didn't change drastically over that period time. Also, the more modern conflicts become the less gameable they seem to become as they seem to be more unconventional. Perhaps MW only intends to cover the 1950s thru the 1970s? Even that in itself is quite a broad span with 30 years. On the other hand IA seems to have more potential for expansions and covering just roughly 5 years of WWI. Again, don't mean to come off as cynical, just making a few points.
05-11-2014, 09:35 PM,
The Falklands would make a decent supplement. Conventional, platoon level and a few ahistorical possibilities such as "What if the Argentine had not surrendered Stanley and decided to fight it out".

Having been there myself I would be able to assist with topography. Heck I still have some photographs of my time there with pics of the scenery.
05-11-2014, 09:50 PM,
I totally agree Vince, especially the battle of Goose Green but what would it be a supplement to? You would have to have an entirely modern British OOB (no Matildas) and Argentine force. And then the maps would have to be specific so it would have to be a boxed set? And then somehow get at least 25-30 scenarios out of it. But I like that idea. Probably the the one "modern" conflict that would really drive my interest in MW. It was no walkover though the outcome was never really in doubt. It very well could of drug on much longer.
05-11-2014, 10:35 PM,
(05-11-2014, 09:50 PM)Brett Nicholson Wrote: It very well could of drug on much longer.

What, with beer and tea driving us on ! No way Big Grin
05-12-2014, 01:10 PM,
Perhaps a solution to the European pricing would be AP licensing the game to a European printing outfit? There are plenty of games companies in Europe... not sure if any would be interested in taking the trouble to print and sell (M)PG though...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-28-2015, 06:37 AM,
John Stafford was soliciting ideas for new games to design to the MPG stable, but he's taking a leave of absence at the moment.