Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAIPAN: JUNGLE TERRAIN First Fire Omission
02-10-2014, 03:45 AM,
SAIPAN: JUNGLE TERRAIN First Fire Omission
Jay Townsend,
This probably answered elsewhere in the forums, but...
SAIPAN Jungle rules DO NOT say defender occupying Jungle gets First Fire in assault this is different from Guadalcanal, and also my assumption that Jungle builds upon forest rules as its base.
Is the lack of First Fire in the rules a purposeful omission or error?
I can see two arguments.
1. Per my earlier common sense - jungles are woods and keep the same rules; it is defensive terrain that gives benefit to defender to shoot first against assaulter and should follow same rules as woods in this regard.
2. Counter argument; Per the nature of jungle and the thick and limited LOS- an assaulter can get in very close and infiltrate to negate "First Fire" Benefits. It happened constantly, and the Japanese were adept at it - early on in the war.
02-27-2014, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014, 01:53 AM by JayTownsend.)
RE: SAIPAN: JUNGLE TERRAIN First Fire Omission
Sorry, I don't visit the rule folder offend, its just too time consuming. I felt fire first is just too strong for jungle combat and would effect the scenario outcome too much and lastly there are already combat modifies for attacking jungle hexes which I feel are enough.
02-28-2014, 01:47 PM,
RE: SAIPAN: JUNGLE TERRAIN First Fire Omission
Thanks. Like I said - it seemed perfectly justifiable to remove it.