Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go - Weiqi - Baduk, or, an up-and-down affair
02-08-2014, 07:13 PM,
Go - Weiqi - Baduk, or, an up-and-down affair
This past August, after 8 years in East Asia, I finally got over myself and dove into Go (JPN) aka Weiqi (CHN) aka Baduk (KOR).

Suffice to say it has been extremely rewarding, and my only regret is that I did not start playing sooner in life.

I mostly play online against Chinese players, and as a beginner I am more often than not on the receiving end of a good beating. But every once in a while I find an opponent who is down around my skill level. Such matches are always intensely interesting.

This is the score graph from my most recent match:

Read from left to right, it shows the approximate score (territory & captures) as each stone is placed. Stones above the x-axis mean that White is ahead by a net score of their y-axis value. Conversely, stones below mean that Black is ahead in the same fashion.

After a balanced start White overcame Black's innate advantage, only to see Black quickly shutdown the attack and regain the initiative, followed by a long series of strong White play which likely would have forced a Black resignation were it not for a blunder that Black capitalized on to start hammering away at White's territory... but alas, it was not enough, and White shored up his defense to win by 3 points in the final accounting.

I was Black, but it was a thrilling defeat. Wink
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-26-2015, 06:22 AM,
RE: Go - Weiqi - Baduk, or, an up-and-down affair
What server do you play on?

I have not played serious Go in many moons but I was an okay amateur (4 dan) when I played regularly.
09-29-2015, 04:22 AM,
RE: Go - Weiqi - Baduk, or, an up-and-down affair
  I really enjoy two-player abstracts.  A major reason why is my dad and I played chess and Ploy when I was growing up.  I'm a big fan of all the Gipf games, and I can recommend some others (e.g. Syzygy).  Ironically though I've never played Go.

Wish I could find more opponents for two-player abstracts.  There's a great place to play them at boardspace.net.