Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Transported units and stacking
02-06-2014, 08:53 PM,
Transported units and stacking
Hi all!
New to the game, reading the 3rd ed rules I'm now on section 4.0.
Perhaps this is a question will be answered later in the rules but I need to know this in order not to forget it after.
Do transported combat unit count regard the Three Combat units stacking limit?
Or there can be Three fully loaded transporters plus three combats in a hex?

Thanks
And sorry if the question was already been answered but I have still to know well this amazing site!

Ruben
02-06-2014, 09:32 PM,
RE: Transported units and stacking
(02-06-2014, 08:53 PM)qwirz Wrote: Hi all!
New to the game, reading the 3rd ed rules I'm now on section 4.0.
Perhaps this is a question will be answered later in the rules but I need to know this in order not to forget it after.
Do transported combat unit count regard the Three Combat units stacking limit?
Or there can be Three fully loaded transporters plus three combats in a hex?

Thanks
And sorry if the question was already been answered but I have still to know well this amazing site!

Ruben

Ruben,

Welcome

Simple answer is yes. You can have three combat units plus three loaded transports and plus three leader per transport plus any number of leaders on foot.
02-06-2014, 09:36 PM,
(02-06-2014, 08:53 PM)qwirz Wrote: Or there can be Three fully loaded transporters plus three combats in a hex?

This is correct.

It took me a while to find though. The allowance is hidden in the middle of Rule 4.3:

Quote:They are combat units, but they stack as transports, meaning up to three APCs and/or unarmed transports (plus loaded units) may stack in a hex with up to three friendly non-APC combat units.

So the maximum number of friendlies you can have in a hex is:
  • 3 combat units +
  • 3 transports +
  • 3 more units being transported +
  • unlimited leaders
Beware of bad things happening when a unit is forced to unload into an already maxed-out stack due to combat. Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM,
(02-06-2014, 09:36 PM)Shad Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 08:53 PM)qwirz Wrote: Or there can be Three fully loaded transporters plus three combats in a hex?

This is correct.

It took me a while to find though. The allowance is hidden in the middle of Rule 4.3:

Quote:They are combat units, but they stack as transports, meaning up to three APCs and/or unarmed transports (plus loaded units) may stack in a hex with up to three friendly non-APC combat units.

So the maximum number of friendlies you can have in a hex is:
  • 3 combat units +
  • 3 transports +
  • 3 more units being transported +
  • unlimited leaders
Beware of bad things happening when a unit is forced to unload into an already maxed-out stack due to combat. Big Grin

I just said that Wink
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM,
(02-06-2014, 09:37 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: I just said that Wink

I'd have beaten you if I'd been as short! Dodgy

You ain't the Pope! Angry We need citations when someone has a rule question! TongueTongueTongue
02-06-2014, 11:12 PM,
It looks we will have crowded hexes! Smile
Thanks both of you!
02-06-2014, 11:26 PM,
(02-06-2014, 11:12 PM)qwirz Wrote: It looks we will have crowded hexes! Smile
Thanks both of you!

Sed contra :

5.6 Transport

A single good-order transport unit may transport one weapon or personnel unit (except cavalry), PLUS up to three leaders. Once loaded, the transport unit and everything it carries count as one unit for stacking, movement and combat purposes.

Thus, one may either have in a hex:

(i) three loaded transports, or
(ii) three unloaded units and three unloaded transports
(iii) combinations that do not exceed the hex limit of 3 unloaded transports + 3 "countable" units; e.g. one loaded transport; two unloaded units; three unloaded transports.

Case (iii) would be bad should the loaded transport be D/DD'd - the hex would be overloaded vis-a-vis transports and one would be eliminated.

And let loose the Dogs of War
02-06-2014, 11:40 PM,
There it is! I knew there must be a clearer explanation elsewhere in the rules. Nice find PY!
02-06-2014, 11:49 PM,
^ Do I get a cookie? :-)

Just to be ambivalent, one might interpret the 5.6 Rule's use of "one unit" in the casual sense of a single entity - that is, a loaded transport is to be treated as a single entity (transport) and ... If one looks at it this way, then
one could have up to three loaded transports (treated now as "transports") and three units in a hex. D/DDing the transports now is *really* serious as the forced unloading now means foot/weapon units overload the stack and are eliminated.

Has there been an official clarification on whether the 5.6 meaning of "one unit" is to be taken formally (my first reply) or in a more general sense as I'm considering here?

I can see both: after all, a truck doesn't take up more space if it has a platoon aboard ... but in terms of game sense, I think 5.6 intends to change the stacking character of a loaded vs. unloaded transport - otherwise, it is redundant.

PY
02-06-2014, 11:52 PM,
Just a further clarification of stacking from PY statement,

You can have 3 combat units plus 3 loaded transports in the same hex.