Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do 4th edition rules change the game?
02-06-2014, 01:49 PM,
Question  Do 4th edition rules change the game?
Those of you intimately involved with the 4th edition rules:

do they change the game enough that we should add "ruleset used" as a datum defined with each play?

Ruleset Used: 3rd Edition
or
Ruleset Used: 4th Edition

This is very easily done, but a decision should be made BEFORE 4th edition is published so I can have PG-HQ ready in advance.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-06-2014, 06:59 PM,
RE: Do 4th edition rules change the game?
Shad,

Not sure yet ?

Most are clarifications, but there were some inputters who wanted new rules. These were debated at length and tried by some and therefore, it appears there will be more 'optionals'. Until its printed, I am not 100% what will be optional and what will not be (I lost track)
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM,
I believe the answer would be no. Last incatnation was clarificstions as Vince said. But givrn some revealtions of printing by APL, the may cut out some pages to fit the ptinyinb ptocess, so I am not sure what we will get.
02-07-2014, 04:39 AM,
Is it possible to have the code ready but not entered so if it's needed it can be entered quickly?
02-07-2014, 10:37 AM,
(02-07-2014, 04:39 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: Is it possible to have the code ready but not entered so if it's needed it can be entered quickly?

What are you, a boy scout or something? Wink

(yes it's possible to be prepared!)
02-08-2014, 09:58 AM,
As Vince mentioned, it is my understanding that the more significant changes have been relegated to "optional" status. I don't think that there needs to be a 3rd/4th toggle switch at all. I note that several of the posters have variants that they reference in their AARs and that seems to work very well.
No "minor" country left behind...
02-19-2014, 11:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM by Airlifter.)
(02-08-2014, 09:58 AM)Matt W Wrote: As Vince mentioned, it is my understanding that the more significant changes have been relegated to "optional" status. I don't think that there needs to be a 3rd/4th toggle switch at all. I note that several of the posters have variants that they reference in their AARs and that seems to work very well.

Hi guys,
News from the front. I am currently redoing the Special Rules for Saipan, Burning Tigers, France 1940, Conquest of Ethiopia, Tunisia, and I just finished Tinian and Guam so they will all be 4th Edition releases in the next few months. I don't know exactly when the first one will come out but I think it's within 30 days.

Commenting on whether the website should have a 3rd/4th edition radio button for posting scenarios, I would recommend "yes". Here's why. Most of those of you who post probably play the rules for posted games as written (no house rules other than interpretations). 4th edition will offer many substantive changes to rules as optional rules. If they are popular, they will significantly affect the probabilities of win in a fair number of scenarios. I assume that all the record keeping is to help players choose games to play (how fun, how balanced, what type troops, etc) and provide a feedback loop for deciding to buy particular games or designer's products. Plus it will tell us who design whether folks are changing over to 4th or holding onto 3rd (again, feedback).

The 100 plays of scenario #15 in East Front in 3rd ed. (notional) are probably going to have different results for the second 100 under 4th ed. Now if I'm wrong, or this is a HUGE hassle for Shad, then go without it. After all, 4th will probably become the new baseline over time, assuming Alan, Matt, Vince, Duane, and I didn't screw it up. Angel Then it will all blend together. In any case, it's done, and it should be out very soon.
Cheers,
John
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
02-19-2014, 11:57 AM,
Thanks John!!
No "minor" country left behind...
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM,
(02-19-2014, 11:34 AM)Airlifter Wrote: Commenting on whether the website should have a 3rd/4th edition radio button for posting scenarios, I would recommend "yes". Here's why...

Works for me. I'll add it to our data collection ASAP.

We can worry about how/if to incorporate it into the visual information later.
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM,
John, how significant are the SSR changes? I am worried that I hear repurchase of games. ConfusedHuh