Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Welcome to Guadacanal" -now what? RE: American naval units
02-06-2014, 02:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 03:37 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
"Welcome to Guadacanal" -now what? RE: American naval units
I just got through preparing my first 'Guadacanal' scenario set-up, "Tulagi: the first day" and am a little confused about the American warships. There are two sides to the DD, CL (and APD) units both with different DF values but the same AT fire values. Are these units to be selected like leaders by flipping the counters for different DF ratings? Or do they all start off at the highest value. Which brings to mind the second question concerning warships: There is no armor rating for them so are they able to be damaged or reduced by Japanese indirect fire, DF or AT capable weapon units? I'm assuming that in this scenario a 37mm AA gun, the only AT capable Japanese unit, would not have the strength to sink an armored naval vessel anyway; or, are they immune to AT fire altogether? The scenario booklet states in one part that warships can be fired on but with no details and also, elsewhere, that leaders have no effect on these warships but is clear that the AK troop transport units cannot be fired on in the scenario rules.

Next up to bat are the LCVPS and LVTS; it's clear that these units can be fired on but only the LVTs have an armor rating (0) so then would the LVCPs be treated as trucks with a (-1) armor rating since there is no armor value.

Sure to have more questions concerning 'Guadacanal' as there seems to be quite a bit of errata or vague definitions concerning it. I deeply appreciate any input concerning this, thanks -Brett N.
02-06-2014, 06:41 AM,
RE: "Welcome to Guadacanal" -now what? RE: American naval units
(02-06-2014, 02:04 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I just got through preparing my first 'Guadacanal' scenario set-up, "Tulagi: the first day" and am a little confused about the American warships. There are two sides to the DD, CL (and APD) units both with different DF values but the same AT fire values. Are these units to be selected like leaders by flipping the counters for different DF ratings? Or do they all start off at the highest value. Which brings to mind the second question concerning warships: There is no armor rating for them so are they able to be damaged or reduced by Japanese indirect fire, DF or AT capable weapon units? I'm assuming that in this scenario a 37mm AA gun, the only AT capable Japanese unit, would not have the strength to sink an armored naval vessel anyway; or, are they immune to AT fire altogether? The scenario booklet states in one part that warships can be fired on but with no details and also, elsewhere, that leaders have no effect on these warships but is clear that the AK troop transport units cannot be fired on in the scenario rules.

Next up to bat are the LCVPS and LVTS; it's clear that these units can be fired on but only the LVTs have an armor rating (0) so then would the LVCPs be treated as trucks with a (-1) armor rating since there is no armor value.

Sure to have more questions concerning 'Guadacanal' as there seems to be quite a bit of errata or vague definitions concerning it. I deeply appreciate any input concerning this, thanks -Brett N.

The other side of the warship counters is the reduced side.

In my opinión, the warships are indestructible in Guadalcanal game. This is not very important, since its influence is limited: "Each time a ship fires, the American player rolls one die for the ship. On a result of 5 ot 6 the ship is removed from play" (scenario1, special rule 6).

"there seems to be quite a bit of errata or vague definitions concerning Guadalcanal". Yes, but I think it's part of the charm of this series
La guerra è bella, ma incomoda.
02-06-2014, 07:19 AM,
RE: "Welcome to Guadacanal" -now what? RE: American naval units
I'm liking 'Guadalcanal' so far but am proceeding very slowly with it as there is a lot to take in compared to other PG games even with just the terrain alone! A whole different world. I am still on the first turn after a few hours just walking away from it and taking an extended beer break after only four activations...lol....this one takes patience! Muchos gracias Enrique, again! :-)