Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PG-HQ Brew Thread
01-24-2014, 05:46 AM,
PG-HQ Brew Thread
Seems as though a fair number of the PG-HQ membership have a fondness for beer and/or brewing. Thought it might be interesting to have a thread to pass on items we like (or brews we make). I got spoiled up in VT (USA) by the Vermont Brew Pub and Magic Hat in proximity, but alas, no more. My favorite format is India Pale Ale (Snake Dog IPA is a decent generally available product).
01-24-2014, 06:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM by Hugmenot.)
RE: PG-HQ Brew Thread
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) and Chimay Première (Red) are two of my favorite Belgian beers with a fruity aroma. Maudite from a Québec brewer is another favorite Belgian style beer with a nice mix of spices and dark berries. I usually drink Belgian style beers when playing long scenarios and I am not tired.

I usually drink high gravity dark beer otherwise.

I also like red wine, dark rum, and tequila but not when playing PG.
01-24-2014, 06:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM by plloyd1010.)
I like the less hoppy beers, usually darker.
[attachment=510][attachment=511] Which are "imported" from Oregon.

For something lighter I like.
[attachment=512] Which is brewed about 3 miles way. Or...[attachment=513] Which comes from a little further way.

There is also a nice Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa and an Argentine Malbec which are pretty good too.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-24-2014, 08:07 AM,
That Obsidian Stout from Deschuttes in Bend, OR is really nice. I like a bunch of their beers. The Mirror Pond Pale Ale is great.

For IPAs I've been obsessed with Racer 5 from Beer Republic here in California.
01-24-2014, 08:46 AM,
Here in Düsseldorf, Germany the specialty is altbier which is a lot like an English brown ale. My brand of choice is and always will be Diebels. Altbier is also affectinately known as liquid bread here. In America my favorite microbrew, when affordable, was 'Arrogant Bastard' IPA.
01-25-2014, 03:26 AM,
I was a cheap beer drinker until just before I started brewing my own. Started with a Mr Beer kit but somebody gave me the plastic buckets, capper, hydrometer and stuff to make 5-gallon batches. That was 2 years ago. I have 16 dozen bottles, about half of them full. 5 gallons of an Extra IPA in the fermenter right now, doing a dry-hop tonight for it. Still have a few bottles of a special IPA I made last November, and started drinking the Chocolate Milk Stout I started in December now. I have 3 cases of Mugwort Ale I made from an ancient recipe, and a very simple one at that, a bit of an odd, sweet ale strong with molasses flavor and just a hint of the Mugwort bitterness. I like IPAs and Stouts most, but Brewers Best make more than 50 kits, and I've only tried 10 of them so far, so have a long way to go in trying them all out.
01-25-2014, 08:41 AM,
Back before my cardiologist vetoed alchohol (at least so far) Ritterbrau Dunkles was my favorite. Have a great blackmail photo of my wife after 2 mugs of Dunkles under the beer tent in Munchen.
02-05-2014, 04:24 AM,
Drinks are on me!! :Confusedlugs down a Belgian Trappist Ale in celebration::
02-05-2014, 05:06 AM,
I'm in Belgium from the 21st Feb for a few days. Any particular ale you'd like me to drink in your honour ?

I'm visiting the Ardennes on the saturday so will try and get some pics to post here. If nothing more interesting, at least some town name signs that have appeared in PG with me standing under them can at least register an 'effort' on my behalf.

(St Vith and Bastogne are a given, but Krinkelt would be collectible !! )
02-05-2014, 05:24 AM,
(02-05-2014, 05:06 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I'm in Belgium from the 21st Feb for a few days. Any particular ale you'd like me to drink in your honour ?

Silly Old Bill. All of them, of course! Idea