Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Invasion of Germany" query
02-01-2014, 01:41 AM,
RE: "Invasion of Germany" query
The new Edelwiss uses Soviet strongpoints.

These are the same as the German Airborne strongpoints but in Soviet colour.

It just sounds to me that the book just needs a bloody re-write by somebody who has played a fair number of them !
02-01-2014, 03:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014, 03:11 AM by campsawyer.)
(02-01-2014, 12:24 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
Quote:The scenarios themselves I think indicate where the counter-mix is taken from.

Leftenant, Sir, the record is disjointed! For example, IoG3/NoEl1 and IoG8/NoEl3 mention neither Cassino nor Airborne in the Scenario "Notes" as sources for the strongpoints. Oddly enough, IoG19/NoEl5 and IoG14/NoEl9 cite Edelweiss as the strongpoint source.

For IoG10/NoEl5, the original "notes" are explicit regarding Airborne but change in IoG to Edelweiss. Go figure.

The original NoEl SSR 15 explicitly cites Airborne

With the new IoG it seems that the default is intended to be Cassino, but there is still a mixture of citations in the individual scenarios (I do not own either Airborne or Eidelweiss so it is unclear to me what is distinctive regarding their strongpoint mix).

Quote:You might even find that as you use each scenario yourself.

We E-8's have been known to be taught to read. My post was based on having played through NoEl using the original supplement and, now, comparing with the new IoG.

I would cite this a a result of the disjointed development with PG scenarios. The designer goes though some sort of build, but then it is submited and the developer works in his thoughts, then APL edits after that. All done in a communications vacuum. We see the end result and correct/compensate.
02-01-2014, 03:35 AM,
(02-01-2014, 03:10 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I would cite this a a result of the disjointed development with PG scenarios. The designer goes though some sort of build, but then it is submited and the developer works in his thoughts, then APL edits after that. All done in a communications vacuum. We see the end result and correct/compensate.

I believe Rick Atkinson would denote this as a FUBAR.

The same thing happens in academic institutions of higher SNAFUs.
02-01-2014, 08:10 AM,
I think the simplest answer as to why the different strongpoints originally is probably because M.Benninghof designed NoE and used Airbornse s/points and M.Perryman designed the other 4 sets of 10 and used Cassino s/points.

How that all got muddled up with creation of IoG and also then got to include Edelweiss s/points ? I'll leave that to others to ponder :-)
02-01-2014, 10:46 AM,
(02-01-2014, 08:10 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I think the simplest answer as to why the different strongpoints originally is probably because M.Benninghof designed NoE and used Airbornse s/points and M.Perryman designed the other 4 sets of 10 and used Cassino s/points.

How that all got muddled up with creation of IoG and also then got to include Edelweiss s/points ? I'll leave that to others to ponder :-)

Not much to ponder here old chap , AP are more concerned with cash flow than production vlaues. Shame really as its such a good game system.
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM,
Thanks to everyone who helped Poor Yorek clear up the new/old Invasion of Germany issues, including PY himself for being the guinea pig and ordering the book.

IoG isn't in the Library yet because I was trying to write a special bit of code that would mirror plays and AARs between IoG and its component modules. As the scenarios are the same, we shan't divide any data. That proved a bit trickier than expected on the first attempt and I got sidetracked by the VASSAL breakthrough with Mike and never finished it.

So it'll be in eventually. In the meantime, if you're playing IoG scenarios please just file your results under the original scenario knowing that it will be automatically carried over eventually.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-02-2014, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 01:02 AM by Poor Yorek.)
I wonder whether the new printing system orients "pages" onto some sort of master sheet in multiples of four or sixteen? I was wondering why a change from 66 to 64 pages might possibly be "cost effective" relative to the loss of completeness in dropping two scenarios (from the end of the original list of 50). Having no experience in the printing business, I'm surmising that perhaps the new system puts some multiple of four (or sixteen) 8.5"x11" (for US use) pages onto a sheet prior to cutting. Thus, a 64-page job uses up full sheets, but having 66 pages means an extra sheet and wasted space (unless others were added). Something like the old quarto or octavo system?
02-05-2014, 10:28 AM,
I've emailed Mike with the suggestion that Iron Curtain 9 & 10 be released free in PDF form to account for their absence in the new Invasion of Germany. Seems reasonable to me... hopefully it also seems reasonable to him! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-05-2014, 10:31 AM,
Siegfrieg Line I hope Shad (not Iron Curtain... it wasn't that far west)
02-05-2014, 10:33 AM,
(02-05-2014, 10:31 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Siegfrieg Line I hope Shad (not Iron Curtain... it wasn't that far west)

Beat me to it!

PY IoG Guinea Pig