Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VT air bursts and morale checks for closed-top AFVs
12-30-2013, 04:24 AM,
VT air bursts and morale checks for closed-top AFVs
Assuming no other shifts due to dug-in status or the like, an 18-factor US artillery bombardment firing VT-fused rounds will shift to the 42-col giving 14/36 (better than 1:3) odds to attain an X-result. As per the Bombardment Table, closed-top AFVs would make a required M morale check.

Whilst these air-burst rounds were clearly effective against infantry (including "tank riders") and open-topped vehicles, I am not (yet) quite so convinced that this extends to closed-top armored vehicles. Ground burst artillery fire is, presumably, much more effective at damaging tracks or otherwise physically affecting the AFV. Perhaps air-burst shrapnel might be more likely to damage the air intakes from above - dunno.

I am considering home-ruling an exception codicil that vs. closed-top AFV's, VT-fused OBA must attain the X-result on the nominative bombardment value column to force the M-check. Of course, vs. infantry and open-top transports and AFV's, the prescriptive +3 col shift applies. Although I hope this would be obvious, all other shifts would apply normally: I am only considering this modification/limitation to the VT-fused +3 shift insofar as applying it to closed-top AFVs.

FWIW from a previous discussion on VT-fused OBA, I home-rule a +1 to friendly fire d6 rolls if the friendly units are in terrain that is susceptible (believing that air-burst effectiveness does not discriminate friend or foe in close proximity).
12-30-2013, 10:01 AM,
RE: VT air bursts and morale checks for closed-top AFVs
Makes sense