Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Table of PG counters from 7 boxed games and 3 book games
06-24-2012, 02:41 AM,
Table of PG counters from 7 boxed games and 3 book games
I have produced a spreadsheet of the types and quantities of counters from Fall of France, Eastern Front Deluxe, Airborne, Black SS, Beyond Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, Elsenborn Ridge, Road to Berlin, Secret Weapons and Iron Curtain (as attached). It grew over time and is formatted to print the minimum number of sheets, otherwise I would have clustered the Axis units together. Column totals exceed the total number of counters in each game due to separate entries for counters that have different units on the front and rear e.g. trucks and half tracks.

I wanted to find out which games I could draw counters from when playing scenarios from book games and scenario supplements (it is not always clear in some scenarios which counters come from which game; some counters can be drawn from games not listed in the scenario instructions; and the PG-HQ database does not give the quantities of counters in each game, only the types).

Where appropriate I have included brief descriptions of the unit and its main armament, to help me understand what I am dealing with in a particular scenario.

In a separate posting I will attach a spreadsheet for Invasion of Germany scenarios, their dates, locations, the titles of the forces involved, and from which games the counters can be drawn.

Something that has always frustrated me is the absence of a map for each PG game showing the scenario locations (like the ones printed in Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader), so I produced one for IoG which I will attach to the same posting.

I am working on a similar spreadsheet and scenario map to cover the combined Battle of the Bulge, Elsenborn Ridge and Winter Soldiers games. I will post it later this year.

Tim

Attached Files
.xlsx   Panzer Grenadier Forces and Units - with data, grids & shading.xlsx (Size: 61.74 KB / Downloads: 36)
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM,
RE: Table of PG counters from 7 boxed games and 3 book games
Thanks, excellent and detailed work. I think this thread and your other one on Invasion of Germany should become the first entries in a 4th folder here, historical and game system support.
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM,
Thank you Tim, this will be very helpful.
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM,
(06-24-2012, 02:41 AM)Bluebell88A Wrote: it is not always clear in some scenarios which counters come from which game; some counters can be drawn from games not listed in the scenario instructions; and the PG-HQ database does not give the quantities of counters in each game, only the types

Yes this lack of accurate counter manifest is a weakness of the site, I must admit. I've got a shitload of this data scattered across a dozen or so excel files covering almost all the games, but getting it into the database in a usable form is a relatively low priority. Is it important? Sure. Is it urgent info for most of our members? Not really. So it gets placed pretty far down the development queue, I'm afraid.

Quote:Something that has always frustrated me is the absence of a map for each PG game showing the scenario locations (like the ones printed in Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader), so I produced one for IoG which I will attach to the same posting.

I think this is a great idea. In idle moments I daydream about a Google Map with a pin for each and every PG battle, clicking which would take you to that scenario's entry in the Library.

That's all possible with today's technology, but not with today's amount of free time I'm afraid! Undecided
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-30-2012, 07:25 AM,
Following the discussion over on CSW, attached is an updated (and dated!) version of the spreadsheet, with modifications to the Black SS leader counters.

Tim

Attached Files
.xlsx   Panzer Grenadier Forces and Units - with data, grids & shading 290612.xlsx (Size: 61.74 KB / Downloads: 12)
07-01-2012, 02:25 PM,
I made good use of the spreadsheet when I dropped my Hungarians on the floor earlier today. All units found!
07-03-2012, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM by Shad.)
(06-28-2012, 01:12 PM)Shad Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 02:41 AM)Bluebell88A Wrote: Something that has always frustrated me is the absence of a map for each PG game showing the scenario locations (like the ones printed in Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader), so I produced one for IoG which I will attach to the same posting.

I think this is a great idea. In idle moments I daydream about a Google Map with a pin for each and every PG battle, clicking which would take you to that scenario's entry in the Library.

That's all possible with today's technology, but not with today's amount of free time I'm afraid! Undecided

Here is a quick Google Earth file for Airborne:Intro Edition. Just open the file while in Google Earth, and the places will show up along the left. Click on the thumbtack and it will take you to the battlefield, click on the link and it will automatically bring up the scenario webpage.

Some of the battles may not be in the exact right spot. If you know that the position I've got marked is incorrect, let me know.

Dean

Attached Files
.kmz   Panzer Grenadier Airborne Introductory Edition.kmz (Size: 2.57 KB / Downloads: 22)
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM,
Top-notch work, Dean!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-23-2012, 06:03 AM,
Following Mike B's piece on the APL site about the counters in "Iron Curtain: Patton's Nightmare", I have updated the attached spreadsheet (the M32 has a 90mm gun, and I have filled in details for the M45).
I think that Mike has it wrong about the M39: pictures I have found on the www clearly show an M18 Hellcat chassis, not an M36 tank destroyer chassis.
Tim

Attached Files
.xlsx   Panzer Grenadier Forces and Units - with data, grids & shading 200712.xlsx (Size: 61.76 KB / Downloads: 11)