Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Town or entrenchment recovery bonus for leaders?
11-30-2013, 04:58 AM,
Town or entrenchment recovery bonus for leaders?
A brief question: Rule 14.45 says to add one to the morale of UNITS attempting recovery in entrenchments and town hexes. Leaders are distinguished from units by definition but is there an exception in this case or do only the actual units in the hex et this bonus but not leaders? Also, does this recovery bonus also apply to attacking enemy units that have begun an assault on a town hex or do only the defenders get the recovery bonus?
11-30-2013, 06:22 AM,
RE: Town or entrenchment recovery bonus for leaders?
I've always played that this modifier applies just as equally to Leaders and Kommissars as to any other type of unit. It's never occurred to me that to play it any other way. Huh
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
11-30-2013, 07:01 AM,
I suppose that attackers in a town assault get the morale bonus as well then? -just trying to brush a few things up with rule clarification and will adjust accordingly. -thanks
11-30-2013, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2013, 09:43 AM by Matt W.)
If the attackers in an assault in a town hex have an unmodified morale edge then they should get a +1 column adjustment to use against the -2 for being in a town. Similarly they might be eligible for the combined arms adjustment, the leader adjustment and/or the engineer adjustment. So, for example, in 1944 a US engineer with a Sherman and a leader of any sort with morale superiority would attack on the 24 column. (DF 9+5=14, column modifiers -2 for town, +1 for combined arms, +1 for engineer, +1 for leader and +1 for morale superiority).
No "minor" country left behind...
11-30-2013, 09:58 AM,
(11-30-2013, 09:43 AM)Matt W Wrote: If the attackers in an assault in a town hex have an unmodified morale edge then they should get a +1 column adjustment to use against the -2 for being in a town. Similarly they might be eligible for the combined arms adjustment, the leader adjustment and/or the engineer adjustment. So, for example, in 1944 a US engineer with a Sherman and a leader of any sort with morale superiority would attack on the 24 column. (DF 9+5=14, column modifiers -2 for town, +1 for combined arms, +1 for engineer, +1 for leader and +1 for morale superiority).

I understand that but was concerned whether attacking units also get a recovery bonus in a town hex during an assault or if it is exclusive to only the defending units that occupied the town hex first. I understand the shift on the assault table for being of a higher natural morale.
11-30-2013, 10:02 AM,
(11-30-2013, 04:58 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: A brief question: Rule 14.45 says to add one to the morale of UNITS attempting recovery in entrenchments and town hexes. Leaders are distinguished from units by definition but is there an exception in this case or do only the actual units in the hex et this bonus but not leaders?
Like Michael, I've always played that this modifier applies just as equally to Leaders and Kommissars as to any other type of unit.

It does not mean with 100% certainty that we're correct though as the term "Unit" is not defined.

(11-30-2013, 04:58 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Also, does this recovery bonus also apply to attacking enemy units that have begun an assault on a town hex or do only the defenders get the recovery bonus?
The bonus applies to all units in town that attempt recovery.
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM,
(11-30-2013, 10:02 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(11-30-2013, 04:58 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: A brief question: Rule 14.45 says to add one to the morale of UNITS attempting recovery in entrenchments and town hexes. Leaders are distinguished from units by definition but is there an exception in this case or do only the actual units in the hex et this bonus but not leaders?
Like Michael, I've always played that this modifier applies just as equally to Leaders and Kommissars as to any other type of unit.

It does not mean with 100% certainty that we're correct though as the term "Unit" is not defined.

(11-30-2013, 04:58 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Also, does this recovery bonus also apply to attacking enemy units that have begun an assault on a town hex or do only the defenders get the recovery bonus?
The bonus applies to all units in town that attempt recovery.

Thanks, that takes care of both questions! :-)
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM,
(11-30-2013, 04:58 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: A brief question: Rule 14.45 says to add one to the morale of UNITS attempting recovery in entrenchments and town hexes. Leaders are distinguished from units by definition but is there an exception in this case or do only the actual units in the hex et this bonus but not leaders? Also, does this recovery bonus also apply to attacking enemy units that have begun an assault on a town hex or do only the defenders get the recovery bonus?

Interesting, never noticed it before. I will pass this along to the rules gods.