Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brett & Vince's C&C Kings Officers 1940-41 Campaign Diary
02-16-2014, 11:27 PM,
RE: Brett & Vince's C&C Kings Officers 1940-41 Campaign Diary
I think the Bardia one was the toughest or at least most frustrating one for the allies that I played out in this campaign before. Doesn't seem anything like the historical situation with thousands of Italians surrendering to the Australians but maybe this scenario represents one of the few areas that really fought it out and held their ground. I think the next one up, 'Tobruk', will be a little more involved and not just shelling the crap out of each other with artillery; plus there are some real tanks available for a sideshow and this time I will get air-support for a change. To your benefit you will have Bersaglieri and minefields.
02-17-2014, 12:07 AM,
And 10 x Tiger II's !!!
02-26-2014, 11:16 PM,
Scenario 3 "BARDIA" - Session 2 and Result

We completed this scenario today winding up the last 7 turns of 16. Like my game with Daniel the other night, all but one of them seemed to go the distance. This is not what my Italians wanted and meant that the Aussie OBA, Mortars and firing lines could continue to pump death into the trenches and dug-outs. Especially selected and rather cowardly of my opponent (lol) was his singling out of Italian ordnance. Eight out of nine pieces were turned into scrap metal through the game as there were no places to hide them in the desert.

The Australians finally sent the foot-sloggers at my manned trenches at 0800 hours (turn 11) on the east side. Apart from a little disorder, they got to them pretty unscathed. Then some assaulting started soon after. Elsewhere, the Aussies maintained fire-lines and failed to threaten the other trenches as they hoped to wither the Italians down.

By turn 14, Italian OBA started to finally knock off some more Australian steps and some DF also double DEM'd another unit. But in this session, the Aussie guns were better and their assaults and DF also accounted for Italian steps. Over these 7 turns played today the Italians lost 8 steps to the Australian 5 steps. The total for the game was 13 steps each.

In the end, the Australians faiied to take any of the 5 entrenchments and therefore the Italians gained another 10pts from those. A final score of Italy 23, Australia 13 counting as a Major Italian Victory.

Brett stated he felt happy to lose by only 10pts, but I have to say that before I played, I could see an Australian swarming attack using the night for cover and lesser powered DF against them. This would have been my tactic, but by ending short of the Italian lines by daylight always meant it would now become a risky business. So I was happy to win too having expected a different result

Campaign Score After 3 Scenarios is: Italy (2 wins) 86pts, Commonwealth (1 win) 73pts:
As we are dealing with a 30% points margin for a win in a scenario or the campaign, this at present, effectively means the Italians are 9pts short for a campaign win and The Commonwealth are 35pts short.

Very much looking forward to this campaign developing more in scenario 4, albeit it looks like a nailed-on Commonwealth cert for victory.
03-17-2014, 08:00 AM,
C&C2 - Scenario 4 Tobruk - Session 1

Moved onto scenario 4 of our 9 scenario campaign yesterday and this along with scenario 5 (Beda Fomm) are the two I have been dreading as the Italian player .... It has not disappointed Sad I had also dreaded Bardia, but knew a job could be done there .... this will be different.

Italians are asked to defend roads and trails on a complete map against high-moraled Aussies. The Italians do have a small detachment of BERS with them, but the mass of their troops are the familiar '7' moraled INF. There are no trenches, just dug-outs. Also, its a 30 turn game... far too long for the Italians to defend succesfully. I knew it would be tough.

The Aussies have manfully marched on the board and are invincibly surging forward. The Italians for their defence have set up a small enclave on the main junction at centre board and then their main hope rests with a hedge-hog at the end of the board surrounded by mines.

The road junction defence is being cleared quite easily by the Australians with most Italians deciding running away is far better than fighting. Italian artillery on board (their one asset) has been firing blanks. Over 7 turns that we played, it has rolled 7, 8, 9, 7, 6, 5, 9. This is clearly not good enough.

The Australians have positioned themselves in good areas to launch their attacks and the excitement for them should begin in the next session. Losses to both sides after 7 turns have been light so far. 1 step loss to the Italians, none to the Australians. But Italian losses will come soon.

One funny note. On game turn 6, Brett said "I still consider you 14 points ahead at the moment" .... I replied "I consider myself 24 game turns behind" !
03-18-2014, 04:58 AM,
Italians are asked to defend roads and trails on a complete map against high-moraled Aussies. The Italians do have a small detachment of BERS with them, but the mass of their troops are the familiar '7' moraled INF. There are no trenches, just dug-outs. Also, its a 30 turn game... far too long for the Italians to defend succesfully. I knew it would be tough.

Subsitute Russian for Italian, Germans for Aussie's and that what I have felt like for the last four years.....Smile
03-18-2014, 06:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM by vince hughes.)
I don't ever recall having 3 x '2' moraled leaders in a small scenario. I'm also missing an Italian equivalent of the T34 ! (BOO-HOO-HOO)
03-18-2014, 09:37 PM,
It will be quite interesting if my Matildas will ever be able to catch up with your M13/39s before sundown; could be an interesting sideshow.
03-18-2014, 10:27 PM,
(03-18-2014, 09:37 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: It will be quite interesting if my Matildas will ever be able to catch up with your M13/39s before sundown; could be an interesting sideshow.

Interesting would suggest there could be varying outcomes. If you catch up with them, their 2 powered AT ain't gonna pierce a '6' armour Huh
03-18-2014, 11:03 PM,
(03-18-2014, 10:27 PM)vince hughes Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 09:37 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: It will be quite interesting if my Matildas will ever be able to catch up with your M13/39s before sundown; could be an interesting sideshow.

Interesting would suggest there could be varying outcomes. If you catch up with them, their 2 powered AT ain't gonna pierce a '6' armour Huh

Oh Vince, I'm sure you can manage some sort of crossfire opportunity; spitting the M13/39s up and firing adjacently to get a one shot at them with a lucky "11" roll. What I would like to do, and is just as much of a long-shot, would be to to squeegee those fleeing units onto their own minefields and let the demoralized survivors pile up to triple stacks amongst the elite Bersaglieri to further complicate things; of course with night-time coming in a few more turns that's not likely but it would be nice! Come on, it's PG -just about anything could happen! ;-)
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM by Brett Nicholson.)
Honestly though, there is still a lot of time left to go with this one and there are only a few turns of full visibilty left. Once visibilty drops the British lose their air-support. I am very satisfied with the Commonwealth's advance after 7 turns but it will be very tough to reach the obectives of clearing both roads and tracks of Italian units and minefields. If Vince holds on to both objectives then I will have to win by step losses which would make it so that I would have to lead by at least 15 enemy steps eliminated to get a borderline win. That along with being 13 CPs down in the overall campaign will require a lot just to break even. Luck has played a big role in this one so far; mine very good and Vince's not so much but it's too early in the battle to predict the final outcome.

I did win this one with the Commonwealth when I played it solo before with leader characters but it was very close. Of course I am doing much better this time around. In my first play the Aussie/British force took a lot of casualties before sundown whereas this time none so far. But there are still a good deal of day turns left to Vince's advantage and sooner or later his luck will change with his artillery. I wasn't trying to gloat but it does feel good to have an attack going as well as this one has so far. 'Operation Compass' wasn't the "Shock and Awe" victory I needed and 'Bardia' was a failure as far as the attacking side was concerned. I do need a major victory to get back into a good postion for the campaign. Vince said that this was like "The Somme" all over again but without the casualties; perhaps with my linear and antiquated methods of mounting an attack. This time around I got lucky with the Aussie leaders; at least two have morale modifiers of 2 whereas with the 'Bardia' attempt I seemed to have had some of the worse leaders available.