Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
11-11-2013, 07:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 07:40 AM by vince hughes.)
The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
As fate would have it, I am one play away from attaining a PG Commissioned rank and wouldn't you just know it....... Most of my upcoming and on-going games are quite large epics that will be played over a number of sessions and therefore a longish time-span. Now it could be that Wayne fits in one of our one nighter midweek games before the end of the month and I therefore cross over the 'Commisioned LIne'. However, I thought it might be a bit of fun to report 'loosely' on how the on going sagas develop as I will not be doing much in the way of AAR's for sometime.

First I best list the games I am involved with and the communication vehicle etc. I'll then post two short notes afterwards each reporting very briskly on the current endeavours.

1. Stalemate at St.Barthelemy from Black SS. Being played over Skype with Hugmenot. 110 counters, 18 turns. SS trying to hold off a large American attack.

2. Quiet Persuasion from North Wind, being played over Skype with Alan Sawyer. 147 counters, 30 turns. German army launch attack on American positions on 1st Jan 45 to the south of the Bulge campaign.

3. Hells Fury III from Tank Battles being played ftf with Wayne Baumber. 397 counters, 35 turns. Masses of Soviets attack German positions from the east & west during the snow filled Op Mars campaign. Starts next saturday.

4. The Wessex Division Attacks from beyond Normandy to be played over Skype with Tony Langston. 96 counters just 15 turns. High moraled but outnumbered and seriously out OBA'd SS to hold off a British attack during Op Epsom. This one awaits a start date from the Langstonian.

5. Where Have All The Soldiers Gone from Kursk SF a PBEM with pal John Legan in Chicago. 277 counters 30 turns. This will take an age, perhaps a year, but the scenario appears to encapsulate the Kursk battle in one scenario. Masses of everything and looks to be a potential bloodbath.

As well as all those, I have a smaller game starting on Thursday with Nebelwerfer........... Depot Defence from EFD. This will more likely end before any of the above.

Short updates to follow: Stay tuned for more of "How Vince got a Commissioned Rank"
11-11-2013, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
Part 1: Stalemate At St.Barthelemy:

In Hugmenot's and I first short session. I say short because my internet was in a period of packing up at the time, we managed to complete just 4 turns of the 18.

This is not surprising anyway as the scenario is something of a logistical nightmare for the Americans anyway. There are quite a mass of them and there job is to advance across and down a wheat clad plateau and attack a line manned by fewer numbers of SS troops.

Problem in this one is that the Americans have just been bombed by their own side and are subject to a confusion rule which hinders activation by cutting it a 1/3 chance of not occurring when declared for a leader.

So far, the Yanks have advanced and suffered 5 step losses (mainly to artillery I believe) and the Germans 1. But the Olive green clad troopers are pushing on.

Feeling of success for this game after session one is a 50-50 chance. This continues on the 29/11
11-11-2013, 07:25 AM,
It's still early but I like Stalemate at St.Barthelemy; the Americans have a large enough force to overtake the German position but the American Confusion SSR makes it very difficult to plan a coordinated attack.

I think it would play well solo as well as face-to-face.
11-11-2013, 07:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM by vince hughes.)
Part.1 - Quiet Persuasion

Alan and I squeezed in 7 turns of this 30 turner yesterday. Only one turn was cut short by FOW I believe.

I am tasked with attacking up to lengthways of boards, trying to capture a town and exiting too any troops I might feel are expendable. Unfortunately for the Germans, the UScan throw down 3 x 55col OBA blasts per turn and this hinders, nay, frightens the Germans freedom of movement in the battle. To the German advantage, they have an 8 morale against the US 7.

Well after one session, the rate of advance for the Germans has been good. They have probably chewed up 75% of the distance. But that sounds better than it is. The Americans posted all their troops to defend the town and the rear areas, so other than pushing through bombardments, resistance has not been too wild as yet. It is still to come. Worse still, the assault on the town will have to be very deliberate as the Americans have really invested it with most of their strength. 3 x US OBA spotting officers plus 1 other officer has bitten the dust so far though. Now they didn't have modifiers or anything, but their loss may pay dividends later on should the US be scrounging for leader counters during the town battle. Casualties so far, 3 US steps and 4 German steps. It's all lining up for an interesting 2nd session as the Germans will try to fathom a way to smash the into the defenders without getting smashed themselves.

Feeling of success meter .. not so healthy in this one .... 40-60 in US favour at present. Continues 23/11

Next report will be next saturdays start to the game with Wayne Baumber. Hell's Fury III. PG's 5th biggest in counters in the whole PG collection.... should be memorable !
11-11-2013, 07:35 AM,
(11-11-2013, 07:25 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: It's still early but I like Stalemate at St.Barthelemy; the Americans have a large enough force to overtake the German position but the American Confusion SSR makes it very difficult to plan a coordinated attack.

I think it would play well solo as well as face-to-face.

Welcome to the diary Hug'not. I found it a useful release to report on games I won't complete for a while Smile Plus alleviates the agitation of having to wait around to obtain a PG 'bar'.

I too think its all balanced at present at St.Barthelemy. Plus it has the odd quirky SSR I like in games.
11-11-2013, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM by campsawyer.)
I think for this commission I believe that Shad should put up some German commissions for Vince as he is quite deserving...Big Grin

WWII German ranks
11-11-2013, 08:22 AM,
Well Vince, as much as I would like for you to earn your first commissioned rank I intend on keeping the Soviet's "Depot Defense" battle's step losses less than 10 for at least half of the 30 turns! But these damned T26 tank-like things are not efficient and only have a move of 5! At least I have a little more terrain to work with with the EF maps though -I'm going to need to make the most of it! Looking forward to this match regardless and my personal morale is higher than 7/6 ;-)
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM,
(11-11-2013, 08:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I think for this commission I believe that Shad should put up some German commissions for Vince as he is quite deserving...Big Grin

WWII German ranks

A funny thought Alan, but it would be ignoring and I fear alienating the other Axis powers that I have played 40 scenarios for. Can't be disenfranchising them fellas you know.
11-11-2013, 05:44 PM,
(11-11-2013, 08:22 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Well Vince, as much as I would like for you to earn your first commissioned rank I intend on keeping the Soviet's "Depot Defense" battle's step losses less than 10 for at least half of the 30 turns! But these damned T26 tank-like things are not efficient and only have a move of 5! At least I have a little more terrain to work with with the EF maps though -I'm going to need to make the most of it! Looking forward to this match regardless and my personal morale is higher than 7/6 ;-)

Its all practice for the 'Big Show' Wink
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM,
(11-11-2013, 05:43 PM)vince hughes Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 08:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I think for this commission I believe that Shad should put up some German commissions for Vince as he is quite deserving...Big Grin

WWII German ranks

A funny thought Alan, but it would be ignoring and I fear alienating the other Axis powers that I have played 40 scenarios for. Can't be disenfranchising them fellas you know.

You won't be, they as they were all Axis allied.