Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
03-26-2014, 01:49 AM,
RE: The Struggle For A Commission: The Diary
Session 5 - Stalemate at St.Barthelemy Black SS # 28

The session started really well with my troops assaulting the Germans at less than even odds and none suffering than a disruption. The second activation - I had 2 activations at start - went OK with one platoon destroying a SPW-251 but my big assault in town (on the 18 column) failed to impress the German half platoon defending.

The Germans immediately called their OBA on the only platoon that could reinforce the assault on the crossroad and rolled snake's eyes; goodbye platoon! To add insult to the injury, the Germans also captured the two leaders who survived the bombardment in a later activation.

The M10 got the jump in the gun duel but both shots missed - needed 9+ or more so only 47.8% chance I would score at least one hit - and did not get a second chance.

It was all over at this point but there were a few more highlights:

* An demoralized American infantry reduced platoon surviving multiple direct fire efforts from the Germans
* Assaults generally being generally ineffective. I don't recall so many assaults at 13-18 to 3-5 assaults in a short span causing not causing harm to the defenders. Both the Germans and the Americans suffered from the "bad" attack die.
* Lots and lots of red (disruption) and black (demoralized) markers to remove at the end of the game, especially on the American side. The confusion rule contributed towards this total.

My general impression is this is one of the top 5 scenarios I have played so far (160+ scenarios played) and I would not mind at all playing it again.
03-31-2014, 08:51 AM,
Session 3 (and Final one) of The 43rd Wessex Attacks # 21 Beyond Normandy

Played with Tony Langston yesterday over Skype in the third and final installment of this play. As the game closed and each side made an attempt to clear their target areas, the game became very bloody indeed. In fact, bar 1 RIF step and a WPN pln, the whole of the Worcestershire Battalion's Rifles were eliminated !!

But the VC's are really geared towards a draw and it will be very hard for any side to gain a clear victory as far as those VC's go. Too much German SS fanatacism and too much British OBA and troops. Over the 15 turns, the goriness of the battle realised 11 German steps whose casualties were kept down by staying town bound as much as possible and the British lost an ugly 28 steps.

Rather than double up the final report, the closing AAR can be read here for those so inclined:

http://www.pg-hq.com/after-action-reports.php?AAR=6075

So 2 of the 4 'Struggles' scenarios complete with a win & draw. Just the final 2 to go with "Quiet Persuasion" v Alan (which looks like a loss) and the monstrous "Hells Fury" v Wayne which I'm hoping to win...... Boy these have been a tough 4 scenarios !
04-19-2014, 06:31 AM,
Session 5 - Hells Fury III (Tank Battles)

Forgot to write this up last week.

My goodness, what a heavy draining session this was. Just 4 turns completed in 5hrs 47mins of actual play ! Had to take a couple of headache tablets afterwards to ease the brain Confused

For all that, there was actually little change around the main reported battle at the town of Nikonovo. This town has faced the brunt of the mass Soviet assault since the start of the scenario. Each session it looks as if it will fall and yet some Germans always manage to keep clinging on. So after 21 turns, some Wehrmacht resistance is still holding out here .... surely next session it will finally end.

The next town in line for attack has been Maloe Kropotovo. Initially it looked as if this second Guards attack may have some punch. But German reinforcing tanks, OBA, long range Infantry gun fire and well, whatever else could be mustered has practically reduced this Soviet advance to a manageless mass. At time of writing, all their leaders bar one has been eliminated here and until some new ones arrive at scene, this assault seems stalled.

But there was exciting developments for the Soviets. Their reinforcements on the other side of the board arrived on turn 20 and they immediately look as if they will overrun the lightly defended small settlement of Maloe Petranovo. This will provide a morale boost for the Commander as well as secure some scenario points. An attack has also gone toward another town from these reinforcements. Podisinovka has received some pressure from some of the Soviet reinforcements in tandem with the Cossacks that had stayed in the woods nearby since the start of the game. This attack at present is being fended off by the defenders and only time will see how this part of the battlefield goes.

The Soviets added 6 German step losses in the final turn of this session which must have raised Soviet's command morale. For the session, the Soviets lost 37 step equivalents to 7 German step equivalents. Total for the game (and this is an unconfirmed total until the final tally has been computed properly). Soviet losses 120 step equivalents, German losses 29 step equivalents.
04-19-2014, 06:43 AM,
Session 4 - Quiet Persuasion - North Wind v Alan Sawyer

Played a productive 4th session of this game today producing 6 turns and taking us to the start of turn 23 of 30.

The game started awfully for the Germans. As their attack continued to try and press past the American lines and forsaking capturing towns or roads, they suffered no less than 7 step losses from 5 x OBA strikes. If that rate were to continue they simply wouldn't have anybody to use for an attack or advance. Coming close to conceding at that point think a major loss was invitable I had to carry out a quick tally of the situation. It appeared a minor loss was certainly achievable so battle continued.

It was a good thing battle continued too. Once again, the Germans scrapped back and began to inflict some losses on the US. The Germans whilst trying to bypass the enemy were finding opportunities to destroy armour and OBA a few enemy of their own. Following the bloody turn 17, the German advance started to go well as they skitted amongst woods, buildings and fields to take advantage of cover.

From turn 18 to turn 22, 8 US step equivalents were taken to just 2 German. Furthermore, the Germans had began to get a trickle of their forces off board and away to score points there also. 2 x APC's and 4 x FOOT units exited.

Points so far are US 25pts for steps inflicted, + 20 road points + 12 Town points = 57pts.
German 21pts for steps inflicted + 6pts for exits = 27pts.

US lead by 30pts at present with 8 turns to go.
04-19-2014, 11:54 PM,
Re Hell's Fury III

Well Vince is right this was a totally draining session in terms of both brain power and my personal morale. I believe that this scenario can not now be won by the Red Army due to the heavy losses already sustained and the inability to take even the first "target town". We will play another session in the vain hope that miracles do occur. Without preempting my AAR I can say this will be a scenario which will go down as very memorable if not for all the right reasons. Undecided
04-21-2014, 10:26 PM,
Quiet Persuasion - Scenario 8 North Wind Session 5 v Alan Sawyer

What better on a Bank Holiday weekend than a double header. Having played Alan on Friday, we completed the rest of this scenario on the Saturday.

An AAR has been completed here:

http://pg-hq.com/after-action-reports.php?AAR=5949

But for those not wishing a full re-cap, this session basically concentrated on the end game with the Germans trying to exit their troops to gather as many points as possible. It was a serious game of patience and quite tense as the Germans had to carry the exit out by stages and would be foolish to recklessly hurry. If they rushed to get off then the Americans may have closed in and caused problems for those trying to exit.

But in the end, all but 1 step of their 18 AFV steps exited (the missing 1 step eliminated during the battle), 16 steps of foot (the other 28 steps eliminated) and 5 APC's (1 APC eliminated) as well as a good few (but pointless) trucks that helped transport the foot over the final stretch giving them a extra hex of movement and saving them from any horrible bombardment that might come down. With casualty step EQUIVALENTS at a similar level (US losing 7 steps of foot, 10 steps of AFV's, 3 guns and a strongpoint) the higher points exit of the Germans compared to the points the US had for town and road control tilted the game to a German victory.

Only the massive Hells Fury III to complete now out of this group of four games.
04-24-2014, 02:18 AM,
Re my last report on Quiet Persuasion. I knew it was a strange game and I did say to Alan afterwards that I couldn't remember any unit being killed off via Direct Fire. This was mainly due to the size of OBA in the game, AFV battles and the German tactic of mainly using manouvre to get round the board.

Well as it happened, Alan had kept stats of losses through the game and his tally for kill types was quite unusual.

German LossesUS Losses
Bombardment24 steps, 3 Leaders10 steps, 2 Leaders
Direct Fire00
Anti-Tank Fire1 steps6 steps
Assault2 steps2 steps
Leader Capture3 Leaders2 Leaders
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM,
(04-24-2014, 02:18 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Re my last report on Quiet Persuasion. I knew it was a strange game and I did say to Alan afterwards that I couldn't remember any unit being killed off via Direct Fire. This was mainly due to the size of OBA in the game, AFV battles and the German tactic of mainly using manouvre to get round the board.

Well as it happened, Alan had kept stats of losses through the game and his tally for kill types was quite unusual.

German LossesUS Losses
Bombardment24 steps, 3 Leaders10 steps, 2 Leaders
Direct Fire00
Anti-Tank Fire1 steps6 steps
Assault2 steps2 steps
Leader Capture3 Leaders2 Leaders

Guys, you point the barrel at the other guy and pull the trigger. How hard can it be. Sniper's you ain't. Tongue
04-24-2014, 11:39 PM,
Far too much shrapnel filling the air for any man, German or American to take solid aim and fire !
05-27-2014, 08:40 AM,
The beast that was Hells Fury III was finally completed Saturday against Wayne. It took 32.25 hours to do so and only then when Wayne conceded at the 75% played mark.

Its far too big to relay here, but if anybody is interested in super-beast scenarios being played, this is the best I could do as far as an AAR.

http://pg-hq.com/after-action-reports.php?AAR=6200

Even then it really does not capture the essence. Wayne's AAR can be read here:

http://pg-hq.com/after-action-reports.php?AAR=6203