Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Guns at Last Light
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM,
The Guns at Last Light
I only noticed yesterday that the hardcover 3rd volume of Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy was available in a local bookstore. Curious if anyone here has read it?

I shall look forward to reading his narrative of actions covered by BN; BoB; ER; WS; BSS, etc. Interestingly, the process will be reversed with Army at Dawn (book first, then game).
11-03-2013, 12:27 PM,
RE: The Guns at Last Light
Yes, I have read it. It is a great companion to the PG series as well as any western front game. Understanding the politics beyond the battles helps understand why.
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM,
Got it. Should be reading it soon.

At Amazon: Print $31.99, Kindle $13.99
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-03-2013, 06:56 PM,
On the Pitcavage blog on CSW, or was it Doug Dery's blog, can't remember now ? They (and these were American posters) seem to think that Atkinson's books are overly anti-British and too pro-US when it comes to the 'politics' between these two sides.
11-03-2013, 10:46 PM,
(11-03-2013, 06:56 PM)vince hughes Wrote: On the Pitcavage blog on CSW, or was it Doug Dery's blog, can't remember now ? They (and these were American posters) seem to think that Atkinson's books are overly anti-British and too pro-US when it comes to the 'politics' between these two sides.

This has been noted in other reviews on Amazon, surprisingly they said it favored Monty. I figure when it comes to favoring sides in politics it is in the eye of the beholder. I found the book shows that the Allies were not always best of friends and this affected decisions for the western campaign. Some with grave consequences. The best thing I can say is read the book and make up your own mind. I will say that Atkinson does his usual in depth story telling and comes up more details that you may not know.
11-04-2013, 08:34 AM,
I enjoyed the books because they were not written by a historian and they do have a certain flow because the author is trained as a journalist. Unfortunately he also wrote a very biased book on the War on Terror.