Poll: Would you pay for 20 more PG maps?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Not Interested
22.22%
6 22.22%
I'd pay up to $100
62.96%
17 62.96%
I'd pay up to $150
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maps
09-30-2013, 05:40 AM,
Maps
I'm curious as to how much *real* interest there is in updating the old maps for EF, BotB, and RtB. If there's enough, I'll work on Mike to see if we can't get something going through Kickstarter (it would never happen if Mike has to front the money for me to paint them, and we know APL won't be doing the old broken, pre-sales anymore). I'm not promising anything, of course, I just want to know what the most basic numbers are that I show him. There are other considerations as well, such as what kind of existing stock he has for the older maps, how and when he'd start incorporating the new maps in the game boxes, etc. So none of this is simple, but the more info I have when I try and propose the idea, the easier it should be to sell him on the idea.

If it was a pack of 20 maps, consistent in style and quality with what I've been painting, how much would you expect to pay for it--it will take a fair number of sales just to pay for my work on them--then there's the shipping, admin costs, and APL profit to figure on top of that. It might be pie-in-the-sky, but lets see what the numbers are just here.
09-30-2013, 07:00 AM,
RE: Maps
I would certainly be interested in maps with less less ambiguity and graphic spillover. I don't really expect to see them in my lifetime either, but would buy an updated package (probably 2) if I was sure the problems were corrected.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-30-2013, 10:30 AM,
I am interested.
09-30-2013, 10:41 AM,
I voted not interested. While I deeply appreciate the work Guy has done for PG maps, I have very little disposable income for games. In the grand scheme of my PG purchase priority order a map art standardization pack would be at the bottom of the list.

That being said, I fully morally (just not financially) support such efforts, and encourage those who can afford the refit to go for it. Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM,
I have requested and advocated for updated/uniform standard maps for a long time. One suggestion was for a winterized and artwork upgraded set of maps for BoB - that is, to match the winterized maps for EbR. Always thought that would make a nice package to go along with Winter Soldiers. I think that scenarios from supplements that use boards from multiple boxed sets would be visually much more appealing - and worth it to me to pay for an upgrade. Concur with Plloyd regarding fixing some of the LT vagaries.

$5.00 per map for a set of twenty ... sure depending on the exact list! (my son can eat some Raman soup for a few months at college instead of Chic-fil-A).

While we are at it, matching warm/cool colored sets of DIS/DEM; Moved/Fired; Wrecks etc. counters would likewise be a welcome (thanks again to Vince for sending some extra "blues" my way some time ago) vanity addition.
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM,
In addition to Shad's point let me add that what I need is not necessarily an update of all maps to current standards but rather the opportunity to replace and/or add to the maps I have. In other threads I have mentioned that I am interested in some larger battles. Not surprisingly these come with a need for 16-25 maps. To accurately model the area it is often useful to have more than just one map "x".

Add to that the number of scenarios which use some of the maps and the number I have played and you can run into some wear and tear.

It the maps can be available with the current graphics that would be okay. If they can be made available with updated graphics that's awesome.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-30-2013, 11:50 AM,
Battle of the Bulge, Eastern Front Deluxe, and Road to Berlin could certainly receive an update. That's 20 maps right there and I would love it if the BoB maps were offered in both Summer and Winter colors.
09-30-2013, 12:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM by Shad.)
I think a more feasible approach would be AP via Guy, Guy acting alone, or a motivated third party producing a PDF-only refit kit at high resolution (300dpi or more). The buyer would be responsible for printing it. This eliminates overhead costs, eliminates shipping, and allows the customer to purchase only as many maps, and certain maps, as they wish.

Overall costs would be lower, profit margins higher, and flexibility greater.

I'm not sure how copyright applies to game maps and hex terrain types (not art style, type), but perhaps an unofficial digital refit kit could be doable by Guy or someone else who might have their own take on the art.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-30-2013, 01:25 PM,
copyright for geomorphic maps, because they're not created from actual terrain, is 100% protected, regardless of the fact that I'm not interested in going around APL on this in any way. Overall it sounds like there's simply no where near the interest necessary for me to spend the hundreds of hours necessary to make this happen. Worth checking anyway Smile
09-30-2013, 07:58 PM,
Despite Guy's decision and having come to this discussion late. I would have loved to have seen EFD, RTB and BOTB re-made to recent standards.

This forum is not attended by enough 'mouth-pieces' to accurately draw a conclusion of how much real interest there would be. More than likely, the APL website might be better osome other outlet ?

On the copyright business, I like Shad thought an indeprendent service might be feasible too. That way they could have been produced with less parties involved. This came to mind given Critical Hit's just released pack of ASL maps 1-16. How on earth they have got round that remains to be seen, but I am presuming there must be some 'tad' of a difference for them to get away with it ? (if indeed they do).

But to finish, I'd repeat that I would be very keen on such a project.