Poll: Does Consolidation result in a unit lost for victory purposes?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
We yeah! you're down a unit, you loose a point.
28.57%
2 28.57%
The other guy didn't actually kill it, so it doesn't really count.
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Does combining reduced units also mean a lost unit?
09-29-2013, 11:29 AM,
Does combining reduced units also mean a lost unit?
Unlike when I usually ask these questions, we have decided how to play this one.

When victory points are awarded for units lost, or some other such count of units lost, does Consolidation result in a unit lost? Obviously the owning player is down one unit in the count, but the enemy did not really kill one.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-29-2013, 12:05 PM,
RE: Does combining reduced units also mean a lost unit?
Well, the opposing player killed two steps to get to the two reduced units, so I would see this as a unit loss. Possibly something to include in the rules revision for the times that the VC's or other rules refer to units instead of steps.
09-29-2013, 12:27 PM,
(09-29-2013, 12:05 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Well, the opposing player killed two steps to get to the two reduced units, so I would see this as a unit loss. Possibly something to include in the rules revision for the times that the VC's or other rules refer to units instead of steps.

Then Alan, doesn't that beg the question: Shouldn't 2 steps lost qualify as a lost unit?

One side of this feels technically correct, but rather weird & gamey. The other is probably more historically accurate, but doesn't reflect the situation adequately. Trying to split the difference appears to result in some complicated bookkeeping.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-29-2013, 02:19 PM,
(09-29-2013, 12:05 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Well, the opposing player killed two steps to get to the two reduced units, so I would see this as a unit loss. Possibly something to include in the rules revision for the times that the VC's or other rules refer to units instead of steps.

Funny, I automatically assumed we were talking about units that started reduced.

I propose the following:
  • if at least one of the combining units did not begin the scenario reduced, then one unit is considered lost for victory condition purposes
  • if both combining units began the scenario reduced, then there is no impact on victory conditions
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM,
To me, yes a unit was lost. The commander sacrificed the ability to hold more ground or move in two directions for more firepower. By making it count, it makes the decision a tough one. I like making players make tough decisions because that is what battlefield command is all about.