Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AARs
09-23-2013, 08:24 AM,
AARs
1967, Sword of Israel, scenarios #14: Rearguard Action: Abu Agheila to Jebel Libni

AAR

Post #1

Scenario #14 is a little monster, as you pack a lot of counters into one map. I am just starting turn two but this one could take me a bit of playing and learning the different rules from PG a bit.

I still think I should have played #16 first to learn the differences in the rules with a smaller scenario but #14 is looking pretty good as far as just jumping in, lots of cool tank matchups but the Israelis have best ones in this scenario with the M48A2 & Cent5s but those Egyptian T55s are the ones with some punch to them and to be careful of for the Israeli player.

Post #2

Ok I sent my heavy Israeli armor: the (Cent5-Centurion 5s and M48A2s) ahead with everything else following behind. Once the Israeli armor knocked out all the Egyptian Armor, everything else just flowed through the holes in the lines for an easy Israeli victory. Some like 120 points to 24 points. But with my first play of 1967, I am sure I didn’t get all the rules down yet. Even the charts changed. Assault charts are now 2d6 dice instead of one like in PG. I forgot to use smoke and a few other rules in my first play but I would say the Israelis should still be favored in this one. Maybe my defensive setup wasn’t the best either. I need to take better advantage of the terrain as the Egyptian player.

Those Cent5s are real monsters, not too much is going to stop them in this scenario but cross-fire, T-55s and assaults if you have the opportunity. Even with the 8 T-55 units and a bunch of other obsolete Soviet tanks: T34/85s, JS3s, PT-76s and SU-100s, they can only put a small dent in 10 M48A2 & 18 Cent5 units. All the other unit types in this are secondary and shouldn’t get mix up with the armor battle going on, unless to support it.

Next up for me will be a scenario with Jordanian units, as I love those red colored counters. Fun stuff for sure!
09-27-2013, 02:08 PM,
RE: AARs
1967: Sword of Israel, scenario #34: Dotan Valley

This is a small unit count scenario with two maps, with the Israeli victory objects to either exit so many steps off the map at a certain point or to eliminate all the Jordanian tanks and antitank guns. The Jordanian victory objective is to eliminate 12 or more Israeli steps. Tie results are a draw.

The Jordanians have a somewhat smaller force of mixed INF, HMG, 40mm AA GUN, M3, 106mm Jeeps and some M48 tanks but also begin defending or blocking the Israeli force but have to spread kind of thin to do this, even with the help of a few minefields, dragon’s Teeth, barb-wire and AT Ditches. The Israelis have a little larger force of M51 and AMX-13 tanks with a better gun attack factor but weaker armor protection than the few Jordanian M48 tanks.

The Israel forces decided to find a weak spot in the Jordanian lines and punch a hole through it and try an exit 14 steps through hex 1217 on the far side. The Jordanian side could not sit still in dug-in positions and had to react to the threat. After both sides exchanged shots after 5 or 6 turns it became clear the Israelis could not win by the exit route and would have to change their victory objects to destroy every type of AT units not counting the Infantry. In this process the Jordanians and the Israelis both achieved their victory conditions, making this match a draw.

The reduced M51 wreck rules never came into play, as the positions of the wrecks never came at a time where it would advantage the Israel player. A fun kind of learning scenario with two different types of forces and much more maneuver then I thought. The Jordanian counters look very nice in red and black, and those 106mm jeeps have no protection but have a deadly punch. So many ways to set this scenario up, so many strategies to attack and defend and a real puzzle for both sides to solve, that this scenario could have different outcome each time. A fun scenario to play!
09-29-2013, 02:42 PM,
Please do not lump all your AARs into one thread, Jay. That will make them almost impossible to find for other readers. This is not CSW. You are free to create as many topics as you like. A better approach would be one topic per AAR with the prefix [AAR] in your subject line.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-30-2013, 01:31 PM,
(09-29-2013, 02:42 PM)Shad Wrote: Please do not lump all your AARs into one thread, Jay. That will make them almost impossible to find for other readers. This is not CSW. You are free to create as many topics as you like. A better approach would be one topic per AAR with the prefix [AAR] in your subject line.

Ok, I thought my AAR folder was a good idea, but if you want one for each scenario, that is fine with me.
01-03-2014, 03:29 PM,
Nice AARs- looking forward to getting in some SoI plays soon.
05-19-2018, 03:36 AM,
I was hoping 1967, Sword of Israel would be added to the data bank by now.