Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The PG-HQ Oral History Project
09-17-2013, 11:55 PM,
RE: The PG-HQ Oral History Project
I have two service flags from my direct family.

My maternal grandfather was a captain in the AEF and fought with the artillery. Sadly he died before I was old enough to have an interest in history. My grandmother and mother said that he never talked about it and it predated his relationship with my grandmother so it was never an article of conversation.

My father was in the 101st Airborne as a recruit in 1950. There are a number of family rumors as to his military career. He was in training to go to Korea shen suddenly he was discharged. Dad was a bit of a rake (I am proof that apples can often fall very, very far away from the tree) and there is one story that involves the wife of a senior unit officer... Then again, his discharge indicates rheumatic fever. Dad never clarified the story. Probably just as well.

My wife's maternal grandfather was in the Navy and served immediately after WW I. He was stationed in Western Europe and participated in flag ceremonies at the Brussels Olympics. He was happy to talk about his service and life aboard ship. If you have read Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine, listening to him was like listening to "The Time Machine" in the book. When he told his stories you didn't need anything extra to visualize it. I can still see the uniforms, feel the dismay when a white uniform ran up against a greased rope, and hear the petty officer's dressing down.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-18-2013, 12:30 AM,
On my mothers side the land she grew up on was part of a land grant for service in the Revolutionary War. Her father was drafted for W W I but never went over. Her oldest brother went into the USN pre-war and was a plank owner on USS Hornet (CV-8) and served in her until she was lost. He served on ASW ships after that and got out after. Her next oldest brother was on one of the ships in the H-K group that captured the U-Boat in the museum in Chicago.

On my dad's side I have several relatives that were in the CSA ANV. My dad's oldest brother was in the 104th "Timberwolves" infantry division. My dad was in the USAF in 1957-1963. One of his younger brothers was stationed at one of the RTAFB bases we were doing Rolling Thunder from working on the aircraft.

Several of my cousin's have served. All of that would have been in the late Cold War and after.
09-18-2013, 02:05 AM,
(09-18-2013, 12:30 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: . Her next oldest brother was on one of the ships in the H-K group that captured the U-Boat in the museum in Chicago.

That's the Museum of Science and Industry and the boat was U-505. They re-did that exhibit about 10 years ago to bring the sub indoors as it used to sit outdoors basically in the parking lot and now an entire, interactive wing is dedicated to that exhibit. It is incredible.
09-18-2013, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM by waynebaumber.)
Dad served in the Royal Engineers inthe last year of WWII. He was the youngest member of his platoon he was also the platoon commander! He was in one of the first RE units into Belsen which he never talked about much. He then spent the rest of his time in the army after VE day trying to clear up the mess the RAF created in Hannover and also helped mend the Mohne Dam which of course was one of the targets of the Dambuster raid.
My Uncle served in the RAF out in India for the duration and saw a lot of action though not of the military kind.
Not forgetting of course the home front where Mum was a fire watcher (ie she used to stand on top of Scunthorpe town hall and see if any fires broke out during the night hours) her Dad my Grandfather was an ARP warden.
09-18-2013, 05:40 AM,
Well, my dad was a teenager during wwii so he did not serve in the army.
However my grandad served in Ethiopia right after the official end of the war. As you know (or you will learn quite soon) there were major actions also in that period.
He was tenente and led a column of Ascari trying to cut out a "rebel band". Luckily for him, however, he was not involved in intense firefights. He always described it as an adventurous journey and probably it was.

Ottavio
09-18-2013, 07:41 AM,
My father was 23 when Pearl was attacked. His civilian job as a structural steel draftsman was demeand war critical until November of 1944. In '43 he got into an arguement with his boss and quit, went to the draft board to get his deferment status changed. The draft board looked at his deferment and had the MP's take him back to work as a draftsman. In Nov. '44 he went in to the Air Corp served with the Ninth Airforce in southern Germany after V-E day.
My Uncle served with the 15 Air Force as a top gunner of a B-24 out of Africa and Italy. He came home in Dec. of 44 after reaching and surviving the number of missions to be sent home - unharmed.
My mother made 50 caliber bullets at the Browning factory.

Off WWII - Had a great uncle who served in WWI as an arieal observer for the Army Air Corp along the Mexico Boarder.
My mother's father recieved a purple heart in the Philippine Insurrection.
09-18-2013, 08:43 AM,
Am I in the only family that received 'step-losses' !!!
09-21-2013, 05:55 PM,
(09-18-2013, 08:43 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Am I in the only family that received 'step-losses' !!!

What do you expect? They were hug(h)e(s) targets! Wink

/morbid, probably inappropriate humor
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-21-2013, 06:41 PM,
Now I know why you are not HERE tomorrow .............. Scared of the bullets !