Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
12-01-2013, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013, 12:18 AM by Hugmenot.)
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
A few random thoughts. I apologize if they are just repeat of issues covered earlier in this thread.

1. Clearly define what is a unit (combat unit + transport unit + leader?).

2. Examining Stacks. I like the rule from Modern PG: "A player may not examine an opponent’s stack (look under the top piece) unless the whole stack is adjacent to his own undisrupted/undemoralized unit or leader, or the stack is marked with a Spotted marker". Matt and I have been playing with a similar house rule for the past 6 months and I enjoy the tension it adds to the game. I do believe a clarification will be needed for Skype games because ftf can see how high the stack is while Skype opponents cannot.

3. Other Leader Moves. I like this rule from Modern PG "One leader may move with any other unit type (except fast mover aircraft) at its movement rate if faster than a leader’s four MPs. Place such a leader underneath the unit with which it is riding" because it covers leaders moving with motorcycle units for example.

4. Strategic Movement. It's currently an optional rule and I would prefer it remains an optional rule. My problems with this rule is twofold: (1) it would unbalance many of the existing scenarios, and (2) I have questions about its realism. Did AFVs favor moving into woods unseen at a faster clip than in the open but in sight of the enemy. I am even less certain when it comes to light woods.

5. Clarification. Fleeing units can be targeted by opportunity fire. This clarification would have helped me when I started playing.

6. Smoke. I hope smoke capability will continue to be limited by SSR and not become standard fare. An hex is a really big area to cover by smoke.

7. Preplotted Bombardment. I would like the Modern PG rule become an optional rule.

8. Armor Efficiency. The PG Modern Armor Efficiency rule whereas a AFV unit can move and fire is something I definitely do not want in PG except by SSR because I believe it invalidate many existing scenarios. My very strong preference is that older scenarios are not invalidated by the new rules.

9. Movement Costs. Care should be given before changing the movement cost of clear terrain as this would have a very strong impact on existing scenarios. For example, changing Clear terrain to cost only 1 MP for mechanized units would seriously affect the play balance of existing scenarios.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap! - by Hugmenot - 12-01-2013, 08:10 AM