Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
09-13-2013, 04:45 PM,
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
(09-13-2013, 12:37 PM)emperor_nero Wrote: I suppose I am asking for something akin to a hand-holder type thing to introduce new players into the ruleset. Wargames are really a tough nut to crack and they usually take someone with experience in playing them to learn how to play. A set of introductory scenario or something like what ASL did with their starter sets but on a smaller scale. You take the rules, cut out some of the more complex issues, and gradually build a new player up to the full ruleset. I got my hands on a copy of Battle of the Bulge and it has a very easy (or so I am told) first scenario that is good to start off with, but for someone with no wargame experience it is difficult to dive into.

Lessening the learning curve will encourage people who haven't play the game to play. Some people can jump in and in a game or two have the rules down pat and some people will need a whole campaign of games to get the most simple rules down. I suppose the suggestion is a Quick-Start Rule Set. A couple of pages of rules that are the bare-bones basics someone needs to play that a new player could use to slowly introduce themselves to by just plugging rules in as they feel comfortable.

I guess that is probably too much to ask, as I don't think this game is aimed at new players I don't suppose. Though the more interest you can build in the game by making it easy for people to get hooked, the more business it can generate. Like a drug dealer giving away samples of crack to get someone addicted... Well, maybe that isn't a good metaphor or at least not a family friendly one but I can't think of something more appropriate.

Nero,

There is also the offer of a game on skype using a simple scenario. The player you connect with will walk you through.

There are 4 or 5 here that will do that for you

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap! - by vince hughes - 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM