Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
09-13-2013, 11:20 AM,
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
(09-12-2013, 12:52 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Somewhat late, but anyway, and I've already addressed nearly all of what concerns me with my house rules. Those are in my previous post PG 3+ or What we play. But on to the list:
  • Loading/limbering/unloading weapons and mortars needs fixing. It is incongruous, especially vs. personnel, which mortars are supposed to be.
  • Mechanized overrun/charge rules would be good. Mechanized units are way too slow for this. So where are Soviet decent tactics?
  • Better vertical obstacle rules. Jay and I seem to like the PB2 rules for this. Something similar would be good, after the hex/image question is decided.
  • More smoke. Good idea Ottavio! Liked the Little Saturn rule.
  • Rearrange the modifiers for weapon units. Things like infantry guns are too exposed, AA guns under exposed.
  • More national character in the game. I'm not sure how to address it, but the armies seem blase.
  • Turreted/non-turreted/one-man turret distinctions. Gordon Mosher has a good rule, I added to it. Seems to work fine after several years.
  • Less reliable off-board artillery.
  • Scalable fog of war rules.
  • A generic scenario builder.
That should be a good start.

Well, it's a start, but it would be more useful if you could explain some of your statements. To me they are not obvious.
"Wheels and tracks need to be different." How would you change the rules to make them different?
"There needs to be a decision as to if LOS is hex based or image based." I dont' know what you mean. please explain how you'd do it differently/better.
"Decide if moving vehicles are easier to hit or more difficult. Historical and practical evidence says more difficult. PG goes both ways." My look at the AT chart shows harder to hit moving vehicles. On the DF chart its easier to hit moving unarmored stuff. That's probably not exactly right for trucks and the like, but certainly true of foot.
What needs to be fixed about mortars and limbering?
How would you describe overrun in game terms if you were to add it?
Please explain "better vertical obstacle rules".
I like smoke too, which is why I've added it to almost every games we've published since 2011.
How would you "rearrange the modifiers' for weapon units?
More national character? If you can't explain it i can't add it. I think that one is going to have to fall on the player. You want to know what the commanders were thinking? What their motivations were? the historical context? read a book, then play. I will NOT make a game like Flames of War where every country has ten pages of special rules for their gear that is functionally really nearly identical to every other on the field.
I don't know Mr. Mosher but if you have a turreted/non-turreted rule write it out for us to read and critique.
how would you make OBA different?
Scalable FoW--how?
What is a generic scenario builder? Can you give an example of a game that has one?

Bottom line folks: I can't do all the work, and I can't read minds. If you want something new or different carry some of the water and spell it out like Enrique did with his proposed changes.
Example-Rule x.x: When it snows all wheeled vehicles not on roads are immobile while tracked vehicles can move normally."
John

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap! - by Airlifter - 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM