Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM,
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap!
(09-12-2013, 12:52 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Somewhat late, but anyway, and I've already addressed nearly all of what concerns me with my house rules. Those are in my previous post PG 3+ or What we play. But on to the list:
  • The new rules must be backward compatible. Otherwise AP will need to rebuild the PG customer base.
  • Mechanized units/formations need to be able to outmaneuver foot units, especially in the open. The game does not reflect this very well right now. The problem is mechanized units are soooooo ssslllooowww. Being slow also contributed to other omissions, I will address one later.
  • Wheels and tracks need to be different. In the real world they were, and mostly still are, very different. That was why the WW1 British & French developed tanks when they already had armored cars. In the game as is, there is no real difference, unless you like driving in the woods for some reason.
  • There needs to be a decision as to if LOS is hex based or image based. PG tries to do it both ways. That has caused issues in the past. I'm sure it will again.
  • Decide if moving vehicles are easier to hit or more difficult. Historical and practical evidence says more difficult. PG goes both ways.
  • Loading/limbering/unloading weapons and mortars needs fixing. It is incongruous, especially vs. personnel, which mortars are supposed to be.
  • Mechanized overrun/charge rules would be good. Mechanized units are way too slow for this. So where are Soviet decent tactics?
  • Better vertical obstacle rules. Jay and I seem to like the PB2 rules for this. Something similar would be good, after the hex/image question is decided.
  • More smoke. Good idea Ottavio! Liked the Little Saturn rule.
  • Rearrange the modifiers for weapon units. Things like infantry guns are too exposed, AA guns under exposed.
  • More national character in the game. I'm not sure how to address it, but the armies seem blase.
  • Turreted/non-turreted/one-man turret distinctions. Gordon Mosher has a good rule, I added to it. Seems to work fine after several years.
  • Less reliable off-board artillery.
  • Scalable fog of war rules.
  • A generic scenario builder.
That should be a good start.

Not sure what you mean by "backward compatible". However, I can promise you that we will NOT make a change that makes previous games unplayable. We will NOT change the counter functionality or the maps in this process. We are trying to smooth your gaming process and enhance your experience.
John[/u][/b]

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition Rules - comment now or forever shut yer trap! - by Airlifter - 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM