Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holzthum-Consthum BotB #5
09-04-2013, 07:18 AM,
Holzthum-Consthum BotB #5
Holzthum-Consthum - Battle of the Bulge scenario #5
Is this scenario really 68 turns long, or is this super high # meant to ensure there's a fight to the death?
09-04-2013, 08:06 AM,
RE: Holzthum-Consthum BotB #5
Bangles,

There are a lot lot more scenarios with more turns than that.

However, this seems to be a phenomenom associated with the early games. One thing it does ensure is that you won't need to feel rushed and can fight and plan a battle at a pace that does not allow excuses for being forced to 'charge-in' due to game turn restrictions.

Don't worry on it too much brud ( and don't practice TOOOO hard !)
09-04-2013, 08:16 AM,
"brud"?
Is that a cross between "bro" and "bud"? Or am I behind the times?

PS Thanks for the answer Vince. I'll take my time.
09-04-2013, 08:39 AM,
(09-04-2013, 08:16 AM)Bangla Wrote: "brud"?
Is that a cross between "bro" and "bud"? Or am I behind the times?

If anyone around here is behind the times, it's likely Vince! Tongue
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-04-2013, 09:01 AM,
(09-04-2013, 08:39 AM)Shad Wrote: If anyone around here is behind the times, it's likely Vince! Tongue

That reminds me, has anybody seen the game release 'Afrika Korps' by Avalon Hill ?
09-04-2013, 09:44 AM,
Vince, did you get your copy of "Little Wars" yet? Big Grin
09-04-2013, 07:12 PM,
Yes I did .......... Of course.

Thats what I upgraded to PG from !
09-04-2013, 08:24 PM,
(09-04-2013, 07:18 AM)Bangla Wrote: Holzthum-Consthum - Battle of the Bulge scenario #5
Is this scenario really 68 turns long, or is this super high # meant to ensure there's a fight to the death?

It's been a few years since I played BotB but I believe a lot of the turns in this one go by quickly early on because they are spent mostly just slowly moving German troops through light woods to get to the town, apart from an American AT gun placed at the crossroads. You can of course use the strategic movement rule to get the German forces to the town faster. A few scenarios have a lot of turns listed that are passed by movement and this one I believe is really only the duration of about half the time listed until the fight for the town begins. One of the 'Afrika Korps' scenarios really flustered me until I actually committed to playing it; AK#2: "Capture of Giarabub" has 199 turns listed but I was able to finish it in 52 turns, which was still quite long. But the Holzthum-Consthum one moves a lot faster than the turn length makes it out to if I remember correctly. Good luck!
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM,
(09-04-2013, 09:01 AM)vince hughes Wrote: That reminds me, has anybody seen the game release 'Afrika Korps' by Avalon Hill ?

Got it dude. Waterloo, D-Day, Guadalcanal and most of the rest too!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-04-2013, 10:29 PM,
I don't know about those games. They use "hexes" which sound kind of sinister. I'm sticking with Gettysburg and Tactics II. I guess you could call me a square...
No "minor" country left behind...