Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shad is published at last Vassal
09-07-2013, 05:25 AM,
RE: Shad is published at last Vassal
This is a huge asset to people like me. I have limited space, time, and people to play with so the internet and VASSAL opens up a lot of possibilities.
09-07-2013, 11:29 PM,
That Mike sent those maps to you is a great development! ER is probably the best starter set out there, and giving people a taste and then allowing them to play can really introduce new people to the game.

Not to mention eliminating the 'I'll never buy AP because of their stance on Vassal" nonsense.
09-11-2013, 12:52 PM,
Just got the Elsenborn Ridge countersheet proofs! Time to get to work! Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-11-2013, 11:35 PM,
Not being a VASSAL vet I was wondering if , as modules are added whether we will be able to set up and play scenarios from non-boxed games using more than one boxed game's components (e.g. Romanian Soil). Is this easily done or will there need to be additional modules created for the supplements and scenario books as well?

Having said that, I am very pleased to hear that ER will be available! This is incredibly good news.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-12-2013, 12:22 AM,
We will also be able to play about half of the Winter Soldiers scenarios with the ER module.

I played a lot of correspondence chess - both snail mail and email - and my intent is to have a number of ER and WS VASSAL games going at the same time if we play via email. An old suggestion of Shad, a tournament, could be revived.
09-12-2013, 01:22 AM,
(09-11-2013, 11:35 PM)Matt W Wrote: Not being a VASSAL vet I was wondering if , as modules are added whether we will be able to set up and play scenarios from non-boxed games using more than one boxed game's components (e.g. Romanian Soil). Is this easily done or will there need to be additional modules created for the supplements and scenario books as well?

Having said that, I am very pleased to hear that ER will be available! This is incredibly good news.

I would suspect supplements are going to be later in development as they will require mixing and matching from the core games. I believe Shad will have his hands full for the moment, trying to get all of the ER scenarios built with the boards and counters at hand. Once he has mastered that he could go on to some simple supplements. It will get interesting when getting to supplements like W&P where there are many different game boards and many different pieces for various games.

But he has a good core Vassal modules together so it will be just juggling all the images from the various games.
09-12-2013, 03:58 AM,
(09-12-2013, 01:22 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 11:35 PM)Matt W Wrote: Not being a VASSAL vet I was wondering if , as modules are added whether we will be able to set up and play scenarios from non-boxed games using more than one boxed game's components (e.g. Romanian Soil). Is this easily done or will there need to be additional modules created for the supplements and scenario books as well?

I would suspect supplements are going to be later in development as they will require mixing and matching from the core games. I believe Shad will have his hands full for the moment, trying to get all of the ER scenarios built with the boards and counters at hand. Once he has mastered that he could go on to some simple supplements. It will get interesting when getting to supplements like W&P where there are many different game boards and many different pieces for various games.

But he has a good core Vassal modules together so it will be just juggling all the images from the various games.

If I am correct about VASSAL modules, The scenarios are not built into the mod. Basically what you are getting in the VASSAL mod is the pieces, mapboards and charts for the particular boxed set (Airborne for the current one, and ER for the next one). Each module developer does it differently but I would suppose that in order to get this approved, It had to be built so that actual scenarios could not be played unless you owned the game.

So each scenario does not have to be created, per se. You are selecting your pieces and maps based on the Scenario book that you own.

I had started working on a module for ER including scanning the actual mapboards and counters but did not get farther than that. Shad's work looks much better and plays well.

Looking forward to the ER module.
09-19-2013, 01:31 AM,
Of course, the ultimate Panzer Grenadier VASSAL experience would be a module that included all the maps and all the pieces from everything. You still would only be able to play the scenarios you had the scenario books for. I have a Lock n Load module like that on my computer and I am able to play the scenarios from the Band of Heros, but not anything from Not One Step Back. I get to look at the Russian pieces, but only play the game ftf when my opponent brings over his game (then we just set up the cardboard - which is always the best way to play).
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM,
Zomby that is a good idea, but from what I have read and been told the creator of PG has an aversion to VASSAL.
09-19-2013, 12:03 PM,
(09-19-2013, 01:31 AM)zombydawg Wrote: Of course, the ultimate Panzer Grenadier VASSAL experience would be a module that included all the maps and all the pieces from everything. You still would only be able to play the scenarios you had the scenario books for. I have a Lock n Load module like that on my computer and I am able to play the scenarios from the Band of Heros, but not anything from Not One Step Back. I get to look at the Russian pieces, but only play the game ftf when my opponent brings over his game (then we just set up the cardboard - which is always the best way to play).

Hey Zombydawg,

I have that same Lock N' Load module and I have the hard copy of the 2nd edition Band Of Heroes. I really liked the system but only played one solo and there is really no support site for LNL as there is for PG. However, if you are interested, I wouldn't mind playing via VASSAL.

PM me if there is any interest in that.

Of course, I am also one of the Skype players that Vince mentioned for PG so that is always an option as well.