Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portee' Units
09-01-2013, 03:49 AM,
Portee' Units
Lately I've become puzzled by portee' units in my Desert War games. In the scenario book it states that they are treated as a truck for combat purposes. That's understood in regards to AT fire as trucks have a -1 armor value. In the case of direct fire I'm confused as to whether they get a +1 to hit if they are AT or AA portee's; or +2 if an artillery piece. They are mobile so I figure they could be less vulnerable. Also with bombardment fire do they get a +1 to hit for being AT/AA or artillery and/or +1 for being transported by truck, which could give a +2 modifier if it is counted as a truck transported and a wpn unit. I have always just allowed at total of +1 against it for direct or bombardment because of it's mobility. I'm not losing sleep over this rule but perhaps someone could explain how best to treat this unit. If they are treated as absolutely trucks only in the case of direct or bombardment fire then my guess is that there would be no modifier at all. The rule also states that they are mounted on the truck as opposed to transported.
09-01-2013, 05:20 AM,
RE: Portee' Units
Special Rule 8 of "Desert Rats" says: "These units (à la portée) move like trucks and fire like AT guns. They do not limber and unlimber. They are treated as a truck for combat and movement purposes".
In my opinion the truck is not carrying the gun under rule 5.62 ("Transporting Weapons"). It is a special case and the truck is considered "empty".
Combat modifiers:
AT fire: armor value -1 (rule 11.11)
Direct and bombardment fire: no column modifiers.
La guerra è bella, ma incomoda.
09-01-2013, 05:38 AM,
RE: Portee' Units
(09-01-2013, 05:20 AM)enrique Wrote: Special Rule 8 of "Desert Rats" says: "These units (à la portée) move like trucks and fire like AT guns. They do not limber and unlimber. They are treated as a truck for combat and movement purposes".
In my opinion the truck is not carrying the gun under rule 5.62 ("Transporting Weapons"). It is a special case and the truck is considered "empty".
Combat modifiers:
AT fire: armor value -1 (rule 11.11)
Direct and bombardment fire: no column modifiers.

Thanks Enrique, I'll go with that. The Italian 102mm naval gun portee' unit's life expectancy has just gone up as long as I can keep firing and moving with it against the Valentine tanks. They are some odd units but if you can get one kill with one before they are in turn eliminated then they have served they have served their purpose. In this case it has already taken out a platoon of tanks.