Poll: How much of your wargame playtime does PG get?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I only play PG
15.79%
6 15.79%
75% is PG
39.47%
15 39.47%
Half is PG
26.32%
10 26.32%
25% is PG
15.79%
6 15.79%
I almost never choose PG when I play now
2.63%
1 2.63%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much of your wargame playtime does PG get?
08-30-2013, 09:24 AM,
RE: How much of your wargame playtime does PG get?
I sold my copy of Red Winter after playing one scenario, not because it wasn't good, I just had too many game systems.

PG gets the majority of my time but when you figure in the other 50%:

NaW, WaW, Mark Simonitch games, and other off games like Beda Fomm, Infidel and so on, they get the other 50% as a whole.
08-30-2013, 10:07 AM,
Matt, did you not play games in the Der Weltkrieg Simulation series the past few months?
08-30-2013, 02:00 PM,
Daniel,

I did indeed. Good stuff for an operational WW I system.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-31-2013, 07:38 AM,
I chose 25%. but it is not because I don't play PG as much as I like to it is because I do so much ASL, WH40K and other games. I would,like to play more PG but there is only so much time. But when I play PG I usually do around of a few scenarios then move on to something else for bit, then back to PG.
08-31-2013, 09:00 AM,
I have just started learning this system. Right now its taking up all my gaming time as I become familiar with the rules and such. I have also branched out to printing and cutting out counters that I have found on this site. I am happy with the support and conversations. Oh yes, the system is keeping me interested also.
09-04-2013, 11:40 PM,
Right now, as I'm learning the PG system and trying to get to grips with the subtleties of the system, I'm almost exclusively playing PG ... even to the exclusion of sports games! As some have already said, in wargaming I prefer to play series games where there's a lot more mileage from learning the rules than standalone games. My favourites are the La Bataille Series and BAOR from CoA, and GBOH from GMT. I keep intending to dip back into the GBACW from GMT but it's years since I dabbled with those.
I'm sure once I've got PG down pat, and I've beaten Vince's Germans once or twice, I'll switch bias back towards one of those series. But for now, I'm taking Battle of the Bulge and Elsenborn Ridge with me on vacation and hope to play out the scenarios from the opening couple of days whilst the wife focusses on her Kindle Smile
09-05-2013, 08:30 AM,
Someday I will get into GBoH. I have admired it from afar for years. I must wait until my son is old enough to know not to smash and grab daddy's game setups! Big Grin
Snaekolf likes this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM by Matt W.)
Last year was a good year for PG publishing. I count 4 releases and 127 scenarios. As has been noted elsewhere I actually made a dent in my collection and played more than were released. This felt good as I seem to be in a race to play all of my game's various scenarios in my lifetime. Having just listed the scenarios, not just of PG but of all the systems where I have a number of games I know that this is merely a pipe dream. Even if I could play all of my games at the pace of PG I think I would have to live to 138 or so to finish.

Well, fine, there are some people who have lived into the 120s and I could always choose to sell off the La Battaille series before I punch them since they seem to have held value. I could use the money to get better lighting and a table big enough to hold all nine maps of the Civil War, Brigade Series, Seven Day's Battles trilogy - and do so while I still live in Richmond. But I probably won't - damn this mortality!

At least I should be able to reduce the number of unplayed scenarios right? I did last year, despite the issuance of 127 new scenarios during the year. I really thought so, until I saw the recent Gold Club newsletter and did the math. If (and that is the operant word) the schedule holds we will have 261 new scenarios published this year. This does NOT include 1967 and its 50 scenarios which, of course, I have on order (I will get the blue Israelis).

These 311 scenarios (including 1967) will provide me with an additional 32 maps (I already own all 53 geomorphic maps so this is a pretty big increase) and 4,087 playing pieces (including some special sets being produced), including at least 4 new counter sets (see the current discussion on the 4th edition rule set) which will greatly enhance play. And this does not include any Infantry Attacks modules, etc. We are only looking at what is being scheduled for release before the end of 2013.

As one's age increases, one becomes used to the disappointments of goals which fade into improbability and clearly finishing my game play is one that I would never have reached. However, being human means that I am expert in the art of denial. As a result, I will continue to push forward hoping that one day I will learn the secret to attacking with the RKKA...
No "minor" country left behind...
09-11-2013, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM by campsawyer.)
Quote: As a result, I will continue to push forward hoping that one day I will learn the secret to attacking with the RKKA...

This is an easy one Matt, you must have a heart as cold as Stalins to command them. Sacrifice everyone one of the RKKA units for the victory conditions.
09-11-2013, 12:15 PM,
(09-11-2013, 10:46 AM)Matt W Wrote: As one's age increases, one becomes used to the disappointments of goals which fade into improbability and clearly finishing my game play is one that I would never have reached.

I've been pondering creation of a PG Player's Hall of Fame of sorts. After having done Annual Awards three times I would like a place to keep overall records for things like most scenarios played in a year.

At the rate you're going Ward, even if you kick the bucket after only a year or two, I think you're gonna be atop the player's mountain for a good long while! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...