Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still learning after all these years...
08-31-2013, 04:49 AM,
RE: Still learning after all these years...
(08-31-2013, 04:36 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Enrique,

Joe OppenH drew that to the attention of a good few on CSW about 3 years + ago or more.

Since then, I have outlined rule 12.41 in thick black pen with the word "TRENCHES" above it in thick lettering AND ALSO written "12.41" in thick pen next to the 'special rules' entrenchment section. These most definately should have been cross-referenced at time of printing.

In fact, Alan, if you are reading, consider a highlighted cross-reference in the PGHQ aAnnotated rules (it may be there but I have not checked)

Entrenchment rule has this x-ref'ed but the Dug in does not, I have updated.
08-31-2013, 04:54 AM,
As for rules that are obscure, Fog of War. The FoW rolls don't start the activation after 3 activation have occurred by both players. Meaning that on a turn with no extra activations due to initiative, on the first player's 4th activation FoW starts.

To me this is very elegant to give one more little boost for the initiative player.
08-31-2013, 05:11 AM,
(08-31-2013, 04:54 AM)campsawyer Wrote: As for rules that are obscure, Fog of War. The FoW rolls don't start the activation after 3 activation have occurred by both players. Meaning that on a turn with no extra activations due to initiative, on the first player's 4th activation FoW starts.

To me this is very elegant to give one more little boost for the initiative player.

I just looked at the FoW rule here, at the site, and now just learned about adding '1' to the roll for night turns. I couldn't find FoW mentioned in the 2nd edition rules but only in the scenario books for 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats. So now I just saw that in the annotated rules will incorporate it in my next night scenario as it makes perfect sense. Night turns can get quite confusing and perhaps I could DIY some all black game boards with terrain barely outlined to complicate night scenarios even more. I suppose that was an attempt at a joke but then again, I'm sure someone has actually already done that!
08-31-2013, 07:42 AM,
I've heard a few less-experienced players say on forums that when recovering as an activation, they had not realised that they had to roll 1 LESS than the current morale level.
08-31-2013, 09:59 AM,
(08-31-2013, 07:42 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I've heard a few less-experienced players say on forums that when recovering as an activation, they had not realised that they had to roll 1 LESS than the current morale level.

This is one of the elegant rules. By rolling less than there more it give them that little tougher chance and magnify how a +1 morale leader works.

If I can just get that that +1 for my son, I would be all set.
09-01-2013, 08:37 AM,
(08-31-2013, 05:11 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: mentioned in the 2nd edition rules

Please don't use those.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-01-2013, 11:13 PM,
(09-01-2013, 08:37 AM)Shad Wrote:

Please don't use those.

I am incorporating the annotated rules more and more each play. Hill assaults have become more interesting since. If I understand it correctly now, a dug-in defender on a higher level hill gets a +1 modifier along with first fire on the first round if all attackers come from a lower level hill but in the following rounds the first fire advantage is forfeited. I hope this is correct. There is a lot to adjust to but play has become a lot more enjoyable since using the 3rd edition annotated rules.
09-01-2013, 11:17 PM,
First fire remains but the +1 column disappears (the attackers are now up the elevation level).
No "minor" country left behind...
09-01-2013, 11:33 PM,
(09-01-2013, 11:17 PM)Matt W Wrote: First fire remains but the +1 column disappears (the attackers are now up the elevation level).

The first fire restriction footnote under assault rule 12.43 is kind of confusing then but it makes sense that the dug-in defenders would retain first-fire but not the modifier.
09-01-2013, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013, 11:50 PM by campsawyer.)
(09-01-2013, 11:13 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 08:37 AM)Shad Wrote:

Please don't use those.

I am incorporating the annotated rules more and more each play. Hill assaults have become more interesting since. If I understand it correctly now, a dug-in defender on a higher level hill gets a +1 modifier along with first fire on the first round if all attackers come from a lower level hill but in the following rounds the first fire advantage is forfeited. I hope this is correct. There is a lot to adjust to but play has become a lot more enjoyable since using the 3rd edition annotated rules.

Oops, not sure how that one came in. As Matt W. pointed out first fire is for ANY dugin unit, regardless of elevation. The +1 assault mod for elevation only applies to the first round of combat. Also the mod is not dependent on dug in status any unit can receive this.

I have placed a note in the clarification for now. I will need to check to see if this was in the old players guide or was added a later.