Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still learning after all these years...
09-02-2013, 12:00 AM,
RE: Still learning after all these years...
(09-01-2013, 11:45 PM)campsawyer Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 11:13 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 08:37 AM)Shad Wrote:
(08-31-2013, 05:11 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: mentioned in the 2nd edition rules

Please don't use those.

I am incorporating the annotated rules more and more each play. Hill assaults have become more interesting since. If I understand it correctly now, a dug-in defender on a higher level hill gets a +1 modifier along with first fire on the first round if all attackers come from a lower level hill but in the following rounds the first fire advantage is forfeited. I hope this is correct. There is a lot to adjust to but play has become a lot more enjoyable since using the 3rd edition annotated rules.

Oops, not sure how that one came in. As Matt W. pointed out first fire is for ANY dugin unit, regardless of elevation. The +1 assault mod for elevation only applies to the first round of combat. Also the mod is not dependent on dug in status any unit can receive this.

I have placed a note in the clarification for now. I will need to check to see if this was in the old players guide or was added a later.

It's no big hassle but seemed odd. I wasn't aware of the +1 hill modifier on the assault table until I went to the AP site and found a 3rd edition assault table. This month I am getting Eastern Front Deluxe edition which should have those tables in them. Unfortunatley I don't have a printer where I'm located but maybe in the future, annotated direct fire, bombardment and assault tables could be listed here along with the rules.
09-03-2013, 09:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM by wkenney53.)
After reading Mr. Hughes reply of 30Aug13 relative to morale recovery. As I read the rules a unit trying to pass a morale check all they have to do is meet their morale number or less. If they are disrupted or demoralized then the one less of morale rule takes effect. Also the morale roll is raised one by town or woods hex. If I am wrong please feel free to point out my error. I have a game scheduled this weekend and I want to be accurate on the rules.
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM,
(09-03-2013, 09:44 AM)wkenney53 Wrote: After reading Mr. Hughes reply of 30Aug13 relative to morale recovery. As I read the rules a unit trying to pass a morale check all they have to do is meet their morale number or less. If they are disrupted or demoralized then the one less of morale rule takes effect. Also the morale roll is raised one by town or woods hex. If I am wrong please feel free to point out my error. I have a game scheduled this weekend and I want to be accurate on the rules.

You're conflating Morale Checks and Morale Recovery, they are a little different:

Morale Checks (Rule 14.1)
  • Unit's base morale
  • -1 if demoralized
  • can be increased +1 or +2 if in same hex or adjacent to an undemoralized leader with morale modifier (Rule 6.51)
  • passes if 2d6 result is equal to or less than morale
Morale Recovery Attempts (Rule 14.4)
  • Unit's base morale
  • -1 if demoralized
  • can be increased +1 or +2 if activated by an undemoralized leader with morale modifier (Rule 14.41)
  • +1 if attempt is made in town hex or entrenchment (Rule 14.45)
  • passes if 2d6 result is less than morale
  • full recovery on 2d6 = 2 (Rule 14.43)

Note that hex terrain has no effect on morale checks, only on morale recovery attempts.

Hope that helps!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-03-2013, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM by Shad.)
Thanks obi wan.

(09-03-2013, 10:41 AM)Shad Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 09:44 AM)wkenney53 Wrote: After reading Mr. Hughes reply of 30Aug13 relative to morale recovery. As I read the rules a unit trying to pass a morale check all they have to do is meet their morale number or less. If they are disrupted or demoralized then the one less of morale rule takes effect. Also the morale roll is raised one by town or woods hex. If I am wrong please feel free to point out my error. I have a game scheduled this weekend and I want to be accurate on the rules.

You're conflating Morale Checks and Morale Recovery, they are a little different:

Morale Checks (Rule 14.1)
  • Unit's base morale
  • -1 if demoralized
  • can be increased +1 or +2 if in same hex or adjacent to an undemoralized leader with morale modifier (Rule 6.51)
  • passes if 2d6 result is equal to or less than morale
Morale Recovery Attempts (Rule 14.4)
  • Unit's base morale
  • -1 if demoralized
  • can be increased +1 or +2 if activated by an undemoralized leader with morale modifier (Rule 14.41)
  • +1 if attempt is made in town hex or entrenchment (Rule 14.45)
  • passes if 2d6 result is less than morale
  • full recovery on 2d6 = 2 (Rule 14.43)

Note that hex terrain has no effect on morale checks, only on morale recovery attempts.

Hope that helps!
09-03-2013, 06:29 PM,
Always nice to see morale issues cleared up.

I have to admit that when Wayne and I first started playing 4 or 5 years ago, I made myself a couple of cross reference grids for morale, effects of DIS & DEM and even more so, what leaders could and couldn't do in 1 turn and 1 activation and also the effects of their DIS & DEM.

I have to admit, that despite the parsity of rules in this system compared to some others, getting a handle on morale and the abilities of leaders in one turn or activation can be a bit confusing to begin with.

After a few plays, they finally all sunk in and said grids were slung :-)
09-03-2013, 11:55 PM,
No idea why but the thread title led me to listen to this.

I do have fond memories of seeing her perform live at Barrymore's in Ottawa before she released her first album.
10-01-2013, 10:10 PM,
I have had so many rules cleared up since playing against an actual opponent via skype ( thanks again Vince!). Since my first shared play last week I now know the correct usage of crossfire; that leaders can be used in opportunity fire along with their combat modifiers; that APCS can triple stack without being penalized, even with foot units in addition; the "going to ground" rule for fleeing, demoralized units; along with the proper use of fog of war. All of this was cross-referenced with the annotated rules here at the site. I still count my past solo plays as valid but what a difference if I was to back and play certain scenarios over again. Strategies and tactics would change a lot and a lot of them would be like entirely new scenarios in a lot of cases, especially after understanding crossfire and opportunity fire correctly.