Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to PG
08-28-2013, 03:56 AM,
RE: New to PG
Visual references I can do.

I will take a few pictures this week - likely tomorrow evening - and post a basic explanation of how activation, movement, and fire work.

It's something that was on the back of my mind for quite a while so it's no big deal.
08-28-2013, 03:58 AM,
That wouldn't only be a help to me, but it could also provide a valuable guide for the community if you were to post them in a thread.
08-28-2013, 04:08 AM,
'Battle of the Bulge' was my first PG game about ten years back and I was a bit overwhelmed by all the rules first off. I don't know if the version you will be receiving includes the 3rd edition rules or not but this site, with the annotated rules section has helped clear a lot of things up for me. The first BotB scenario, 'Interruption' is about as basic as you can get and only involves foot units and a small playing area. Things get a little more involved when armored units show up in the later scenarios but BotB gradually brings them into play. The members of this group are very helpful and are quick to answer questions if you post them in the forum. I hope you enjoy BotB as much as I did and good luck in hooking up with ftf player, there are many here willing to oblige you.
08-28-2013, 04:12 AM,
emperor nero, try looking at the annotated rules section on the main page. You can also go over to Consim World and go to the series forum. The PG site has a 3rd edition illustrated download that may help
08-28-2013, 04:13 AM,
I am hoping my MtG partner will be as willing to learn with me as he says he is. If not I am going to start playing online alot. haha.

Do you guys do VASSAL? I've never done it, but I'd enjoy learning.
08-28-2013, 07:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM by vince hughes.)
There is no PG VASSAL (at present)
08-28-2013, 08:18 AM,
Hopefully that will change soon.
08-28-2013, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM by Shad.)
Welcome!

(08-28-2013, 01:33 AM)emperor_nero Wrote: I am from Southwest Virginia. I think I'd enjoy sitting in on a game and watching how it is played. Usually when I want to learn a game I'll watch a YT video, but YT videos on PG are fairly limited. If it were ASL I'd have all kinds of videos to watch. haha.

We have a lot of members in the Virginia area. I used to live out there, did my bachelor's degree in Lexington. Lovely country.

Quote:Thanks for the advice. I guess daunting isn't the correct word. It's more something different. I am traditionally a PC gamer so the rules are all handled within the game itself. I lost interest in video gaming so I want to take up wargaming so myself and a friend will have something to do besides MtG.

The PG rules are repetitive and a bit wordy. If they were strictly boiled down so no concepts are repeated elsewhere I bet we could knock 40% of the length off. That would inevitably lead to more questions though.

I also started with PC gaming and took up wargaming after needing something different. The tactile component is what I enjoy most.

As for VASSAL, progress is being made (slowly) on that front, but it will be awhile yet I fear. The series owner fears and does not understand modern technology, frankly.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...