Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night turn direct fire modifiers when visibility is 2 hexes.
08-23-2013, 05:23 AM,
Night turn direct fire modifiers when visibility is 2 hexes.
I was hoping someone could clear up whether the -1 direct fire modifier is in effect during night turns when visibilty is 2 hexes instead of 1 hex. In 'Desert Rats' almost every night scenario, except for #6-Night Flight and #25 -Ngati Tumatauen-ga (where visibility is not specified), the night visibilty range is 2. Is this to be left to player discretion or is there an official ruling on this? On the Direct fire table it states: -1 night (visibility one hex). Undecided
08-23-2013, 08:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM by campsawyer.)
RE: Night turn direct fire modifiers when visibility is 2 hexes.
(08-23-2013, 05:23 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I was hoping someone could clear up whether the -1 direct fire modifier is in effect during night turns when visibilty is 2 hexes instead of 1 hex. In 'Desert Rats' almost every night scenario, except for #6-Night Flight and #25 -Ngati Tumatauen-ga (where visibility is not specified), the night visibilty range is 2. Is this to be left to player discretion or is there an official ruling on this? On the Direct fire table it states: -1 night (visibility one hex). Undecided

It is in the rules already. In Rule 8.1 'Spotting range at night is normally one hex (the adjacent one). Some scenarios include other special spotting rules.'

So if it is defined as a night scenario all night modifiers are in effect despite the visibility or 2 hexes. I would ignore the reference on the chart and go with the SSR and the core rules.
08-23-2013, 09:06 AM,
This actually goes back to the days of the old FAQ document that kept floating around (think before PG-HQ). The answer is that the night modifiers DO apply when a scenario sets night visibility at 2 hexes.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-23-2013, 09:12 AM,
(08-23-2013, 08:40 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 05:23 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I was hoping someone could clear up whether the -1 direct fire modifier is in effect during night turns when visibilty is 2 hexes instead of 1 hex. In 'Desert Rats' almost every night scenario, except for #6-Night Flight and #25 -Ngati Tumatauen-ga (where visibility is not specified), the night visibilty range is 2. Is this to be left to player discretion or is there an official ruling on this? On the Direct fire table it states: -1 night (visibility one hex). Undecided

It is in the rules already. In Rule 8.1 'Spotting range at night is normally one hex (the adjacent one). Some scenarios include other special spotting rules.'

So if it is defined as a night scenario all night modifiers are in effect despite the visibility or 2 hexes. I would ignore the reference on the chart and go with the SSR and the core rules.

Thanks for clearing that up, so I suppose that would also include self-led AFVs also having to follow in the tracks after foot units as well. I almost lost sleep over that with the current scenario and will reset it in the morning as I made some mistakes with AFV movement, luckily I was only four turns into it and now it makes more sense -thanks again for the input!
08-23-2013, 10:02 AM,
Not quite sure what you mean by self-led AFV's? Are they tanks? If so they will have leaders to move them. If APC's, then they would follow the other leaders.
08-23-2013, 10:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
(08-23-2013, 10:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Not quite sure what you mean by self-led AFV's? Are they tanks? If so they will have leaders to move them. If APC's, then they would follow the other leaders.

In the annotated rules here, at the site it states that AFVs cannot move onto hexes that are not friendly occupied or were last traveled through by friendly, regular leader led ground units during night turns, meaning they have to follow behind and can't move ahead first at night. Anyway, it's a 36 turn long epic with a lot of complexities (DR #26-Link Up) and I think just about every different battlegroup has varying morales. There are a lot of rules to keep in mind with PG so I'm going to get some sleep and try it again tomorrow. PG is becoming a life-long learning experience!
08-23-2013, 10:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM by Shad.)
(08-23-2013, 10:11 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 10:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Not quite sure what you mean by self-led AFV's? Are they tanks? If so they will have leaders to move them. If APC's, then they would follow the other leaders.

In the annotated rules here...

Nebel is referring to our annotation on Rule 5.5 - Night Movement.

Note that it is referring solely to units (AFV and otherwise) activating without leaders/tank leaders.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM,
(08-23-2013, 10:36 AM)Shad Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 10:11 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote:

In the annotated rules here...

Nebel is referring to our annotation on Rule 5.5 - Night Movement.

Note that it is referring solely to units (AFV and otherwise) activating without leaders/tank leaders.

Hmm... I think this needs a little more explanation. I will update the clarification.
08-23-2013, 12:57 PM,
Speaking of which, where on earth did that clarification come from?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-23-2013, 01:22 PM,
not sure I will have to look in the email archive for tgat.