Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting closer to VASSAL-ing PG
08-21-2013, 01:58 PM,
Getting closer to VASSAL-ing PG
While I was working on the site patch I couldn't do any other site-related work, so I turned my attention to getting some VASSAL stuff together.

I've just sent Mike my final draft for an Airborne - Intro module. It's a good deal more polished than the one from ages ago floating around.

Want these to see the light of day? Go tell them in the AP folder on CSW! That's the only one they regularly read. Rolleyes

Here is an example screenshot. Try not to dwell on how obviously staged this is. Just want to illustrate the markers and such.

...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-21-2013, 01:59 PM,
RE: Getting closer to VASSAL-ing PG
My intent in starting with Airborne was to demonstrate what can be accomplished. I've also been lobbying him to send me the digital proofs for other titles so that I can create pixel-perfect modules... that's also the only way oversized map games like Desert Rats and Cassino '44 could ever be done.
08-22-2013, 07:43 AM,
Andrew,
That does look better than the old IE version. I like the banner across the unit describing the status better than the small block off to the side.

With so many games out there, getting them all into vassal, or even enough to make it worthwhile would be interesting. Which games should be brought on first?
08-22-2013, 09:20 AM,
In a perfect world, all of them. But that will never happen.

A reasonable but still far-fetched goal would be all boxed games.

Unfortunately, that's far-fetched because Mike sees VASSAL et all as a sales driver, not a basic requirement, and is therefore loathe to allow modules for games that are not in stock.

Trimming our goals even further, then, I'm hoping we can do Elsenborn, Cassino '44 with campaign support, and all new boxed games.

Let Mike know you care. That's the best thing anyone can do besides making the modules themselves! Smile
08-22-2013, 09:42 AM,
(08-22-2013, 09:20 AM)Shad Wrote: In a perfect world, all of them. But that will never happen.

A reasonable but still far-fetched goal would be all boxed games.

Unfortunately, that's far-fetched because Mike sees VASSAL et all as a sales driver, not a basic requirement, and is therefore loathe to allow modules for games that are not in stock.

Trimming our goals even further, then, I'm hoping we can do Elsenborn, Cassino '44 with campaign support, and all new boxed games.

Let Mike know you care. That's the best thing anyone can do besides making the modules themselves! Smile

I wish I had time to devote to learning how to build a Vassal module... would be cool to do something like that - instead i'm chasing after teenagers and remodeling the basement

then the bathroom...

then who knows what...