Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unit Values - the Theory
08-21-2013, 12:12 AM,
Unit Values - the Theory
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anywhere any Designer's Notes or articles about the theory of the game design. Particularly when it comes to the different values attributed to comparable units from different nationalities.
I'm assuming not only weaponry, but training, morale and doctrine also play a factor, but I can't understand why, for example, Russian Infantry in EFD are 4-2 and remain 4-2 and inferior to German infantry in Kursk.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get info on unit value design, I'd appreciate it.
08-21-2013, 01:13 AM,
RE: Unit Values - the Theory
I'm not sure there is a firm process. In the designer's notes of some modules it is talked about, mostly by Mike Bennigof. In those notes rifle/LMG counts are sometimes mentioned, other times discipline and training are cited as the prevailing factors. I think it is a sliding scale involving all 3 factors. I've seen a couple relativity aberrations.

A couple places to start are in the Daily content archive; Panzer Grenadiers, German Infantry Platoon, Soviet Infantry Platoon, and British Infantry in Normandy. Also do a search for designer's notes that are not scenario previews. I don't know if they are in the site, but HbnS & WE come to mind as modules to look for.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-21-2013, 07:18 AM,
Cheers for that. I'll take a look at all the links.
08-21-2013, 08:11 AM,
Get on and play you git !!
08-23-2013, 11:19 PM,
At the moment the website is unsearchable due to a denial of service attack that was launched moments after Mike announced modern PG was in stock and available for immediate purchase. Makes me glad I print out every daily content article.
08-25-2013, 06:46 AM,
I have been saving them also. Unfortunately, I was a couple of weeks behind when the attack occurred. I was going to catch up this week . . .

Oh well, at least they'll eventually come back around again.

Hope the site is back soon.