Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some history for Vince & Alan
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM,
Some history for Vince & Alan
Map of the London Blitz
The rest of can take look too.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-20-2013, 10:36 PM,
RE: Some history for Vince & Alan
Peter,

I believe you may have confused me with Wayne. As a New Englander, I go to New London and the only bombs they have there are lost torpedos in the Thames river from torpedo tests. Thanks for the interesting site.

Alan
08-20-2013, 10:51 PM,
It's Possible. So don't look at the site, and everything will be ok. Dodgy
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-21-2013, 03:26 AM,
70 years too late! There's a bomb icon right on my office. They missed my Grandma's house, but my first house in London appears to have been straddled by two bombs no wonder it was a new build. Very interesting thank you Peter
08-21-2013, 09:33 AM,
(08-20-2013, 10:17 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Map of the London Blitz
The rest of can take look too.

Peter,

The nice bit about the link is that the first face of the page is on my part of London (south-east London in the borough of Southwark).

You can see the bomb that hit my grandads house. Go south from Southwark Bridge (next one from London Bridge) along Southwark Bridge Road. Then at the junction of Great Suffolk Street, you'll see the bomb. This was early in 41 I think, maybe the end of 1940.

Grandad had a bad time in the war, with 3 brothers killed and his house blown up whilst he was on night shift at a bomb-sights factory. Fortunately, his wife (my nan) and son (dad), were staying the night at my Great-Grandads house, and therefore were not killed.

The site is an office car-park now (at 324 Southwark Bridge Road). I worked this beat as a cop for 12 years before moving to another station (precinct). It was only in my last couple of years there I even realised that this was the old family home before I had arrived on planet Earth Rolleyes
08-21-2013, 10:34 PM,
Glad you guys appreciated it. The site was just something I stumbled across on BGG.

Your stories remind me of those I've heard in the eastern US about the Civil War. The older families all have a story about an ancestor in some regiment over in some battle on a hill over wherever.

Vince, good to here your story didn't turn out like the Sullivans. Then again, it really couldn't I suppose.