Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious on site info
08-15-2013, 02:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM by Clupper21.)
Curious on site info
If this isn't the right place for this post I apologize. I can find lots of information here about what to do with a game collection one already owns, but what about information relevant to buying decisions? What I mean is that I can look up, for example any scenario in Kokoda Trail and find out what I need to play it.

What I can't find is a tree that tells me something such as, "If you buy The Young Lions, you'll find 100 scenarios. 23 are playable with what's in the box. 35 need Streetcar Named Desire. 12 need Le Mans, Around the World in 80 Days. 18 need Tweaking Legions, The Prisoner Episode #21, and Krull. 9 need Bastone, Gumby: Day of Doom, and Road to Berlin. 2 need every PG game and and supplement ever published by Avalanche Press. 1 needs every game and supplement ever published by Avalanche Press and something else, but we're confident no one will get that far."

Is there a chart like that available? Thanks.
08-15-2013, 02:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM by Shad.)
RE: Curious on site info
(08-15-2013, 02:09 PM)Clupper21 Wrote: Is there a chart like that available? Thanks.

There are currently two ways to skin this cat.

The easiest is to simply view the game in question's Library page. Taking Secret Weapons as the classic example, the Expansion Game Requirements & Playability table will show you exactly which games are required, how many scenarios they are used in, and give you a recommendation for which game to purchase next in order to maximize your playability.

However, this automatic chart does not allow speculation. For that we must turn to Dean_P's playability spreadsheet which has its own thread here.

That gives you very granular control over your purchasing possibilities. I have PM'd Dean to drop by this thread and comment.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-16-2013, 09:28 AM,
(08-15-2013, 02:59 PM)Shad Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 02:09 PM)Clupper21 Wrote: Is there a chart like that available? Thanks.

The easiest is to simply view the game in question's Library page. Taking Secret Weapons as the classic example, the Expansion Game Requirements & Playability table will show you exactly which games are required, how many scenarios they are used in, and give you a recommendation for which game to purchase next in order to maximize your playability.

However, this automatic chart does not allow speculation. For that we must turn to Dean_P's playability spreadsheet which has its own thread here.

That gives you very granular control over your purchasing possibilities. I have PM'd Dean to drop by this thread and comment.

Thanks, that's a helpful function. Still, it would be nice to see an "at a glance" summary, or at least a ranking of PG editions by "most playable from the box" down to "requires the most additional components." I'm still at a loss a bit about where best to spend my $$.
08-16-2013, 09:34 AM,
Clupper,

It sounds like what you're looking for is what Ver. 2 of the spreadsheet. The non-macro version (if you don't have Excel, but have Open Office) will let you manually add a game to your collection and then see how many scenarios you can play. The "macro enabled" version automatically does this for each game and then resets it before moving to the next game.

I haven't updated it since Saipan came out, so the post-WWII game Hammer & Sickle isn't included (there may be others missing too, and I know there are a bunch about to come out that aren't in the sheet yet). I guess I have to update this behemoth!
08-16-2013, 09:40 AM,
(08-16-2013, 09:28 AM)Clupper21 Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 02:59 PM)Shad Wrote:

Thanks, that's a helpful function. Still, it would be nice to see an "at a glance" summary, or at least a ranking of PG editions by "most playable from the box" down to "requires the most additional components." I'm still at a loss a bit about where best to spend my $$.

If you look at the screen capture of the spreadsheet in that thread, look at row 4. In this case, I have my own inventory set up in the spreadsheet. Row 4 shows how many scenarios adding that title would be playable. For instance, if I was to buy Aachen 44, I'd only add 2 scenarios (out of 10). If I add Arctic Front Deluxe, I can play 27 more scenarios (out of 40). While it's not visible on that screenshot, if I bought Cassino, I'd be able to play 35 more scenarios (32 from that game plus 3 others that are enabled because of other games I own).
08-16-2013, 09:56 AM,
Quote:If you look at the screen capture of the spreadsheet in that thread, look at row 4. In this case, I have my own inventory set up in the spreadsheet. Row 4 shows how many scenarios adding that title would be playable. For instance, if I was to buy Aachen 44, I'd only add 2 scenarios (out of 10). If I add Arctic Front Deluxe, I can play 27 more scenarios (out of 40). While it's not visible on that screenshot, if I bought Cassino, I'd be able to play 35 more scenarios (32 from that game plus 3 others that are enabled because of other games I own).

I appreciate that fact and the helpfulness of the spreadsheet, although I can't use it (no MS Windows access and it locks up OpenOffice). I'm probably just challenged to get the most out of the site.
08-16-2013, 10:48 AM,
(08-16-2013, 09:28 AM)Clupper21 Wrote: I'm still at a loss a bit about where best to spend my $$.

The mundane answer is to buy the title(s) you're most interested in. And if they require supporting content and you can budget it, get those as well.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-16-2013, 11:02 AM,
(08-16-2013, 09:56 AM)Clupper21 Wrote:
Quote:If you look at the screen capture of the spreadsheet in that thread, look at row 4. In this case, I have my own inventory set up in the spreadsheet. Row 4 shows how many scenarios adding that title would be playable. For instance, if I was to buy Aachen 44, I'd only add 2 scenarios (out of 10). If I add Arctic Front Deluxe, I can play 27 more scenarios (out of 40). While it's not visible on that screenshot, if I bought Cassino, I'd be able to play 35 more scenarios (32 from that game plus 3 others that are enabled because of other games I own).

I appreciate that fact and the helpfulness of the spreadsheet, although I can't use it (no MS Windows access and it locks up OpenOffice). I'm probably just challenged to get the most out of the site.

Sorry about the incompatibility... Maybe I'll make some time soon and take a look at it.
08-16-2013, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM by Dean_P.)
(08-16-2013, 09:56 AM)Clupper21 Wrote: I appreciate that fact and the helpfulness of the spreadsheet, although I can't use it (no MS Windows access and it locks up OpenOffice). I'm probably just challenged to get the most out of the site.

What version of Open Office do you use? I have 3.3 for Windows and can save it either as an ODS (open office spreadsheet) or an .XLS

I couldn't open the .xlsx file on 3.3 either... sigh... there are times I do not particularly care for M$
08-16-2013, 12:06 PM,
Ok, I've made an Open Office version of the sheet. It's in the spreadsheet thread.

I made it with Open Office 3.3 for Windows and saved it in the OO native spreadsheet format (.ods). It's the non-macro version, so you'll have to manually add a game (by typing 'yes' in the top row). The number of playable scenarios will automatically change when you do so, indicating the new number of playable scenarios.

And as an added bonus, I forgot to clear out my owned games from the list... so now you know what I own! That alone is worth what you're paying for this - yep... not a dang thing! Big Grin