Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visualizing PG-HQ's data
08-15-2013, 09:04 AM,
RE: Visualizing PG-HQ's data
The big problem with the forecasat is that it is based on the currently available scenarios. As we have seen that number is increasing substantially every year! This is a darn good problem to have...
No "minor" country left behind...
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM,
Yeah even though we're at 75% play completion the expected end date keeps getting pushed back further and further! Right now AAR coverage (which has always lagged a bit behind plays) is increasing at less than 1% per month. Undecided
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-15-2013, 11:36 AM,
(08-15-2013, 10:54 AM)Shad Wrote: Yeah even though we're at 75% play completion the expected end date keeps getting pushed back further and further! Right now AAR coverage (which has always lagged a bit behind plays) is increasing at less than 1% per month. Undecided

As long as new games come out, we will be tilting at windmills to think that there will ever be 100% coverage. There is just to many scenarios that are ever increasing.
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM,
In other words, we had best get back to gaming. Tongue
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-15-2013, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM by Shad.)
(08-15-2013, 11:36 AM)campsawyer Wrote: As long as new games come out, we will be tilting at windmills to think that there will ever be 100% coverage. There is just to many scenarios that are ever increasing.

Aye mate, the goalposts keep moving, but it's not so bad. It's just a behavioral challenge... there are only ~440 unplayed scenarios right now. If everyone active on the site played 2 or 3 unplayed scenarios we'd be fully covered.

The catch-22, as Vince is so fond of pointing out, is that people want to play scenarios they are confident are balanced and fun, which requires data, which means well-documented scenarios tend to get even more well-documented whereas unplayed scenarios become even less appealing! Rolleyes
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-15-2013, 01:19 PM,
Shad, well there is your new metric. Publish the list of unplayed scenatios for all to see and play.
08-15-2013, 01:27 PM,
(08-15-2013, 12:26 PM)Shad Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 11:36 AM)campsawyer Wrote: As long as new games come out, we will be tilting at windmills to think that there will ever be 100% coverage. There is just to many scenarios that are ever increasing.

Aye mate, the goalposts keep moving, but it's not so bad. It's just a behavioral challenge... there are only ~440 unplayed scenarios right now. If everyone active on the site played 2 or 3 unplayed scenarios we'd be fully covered.

The catch-22, as Vince is so fond of pointing out, is that people want to play scenarios they are confident are balanced and fun, which requires data, which means well-documented scenarios tend to get even more well-documented whereas unplayed scenarios become even less appealing! Rolleyes

There is a flaw in your logic of they last paragraph. If they are unplayed how can they be balanced/unbalanced or fun or not fun. Tney are just not played. More probable answer people only play a few scenarios of a game and then move on. Some play what others have played without venturing into uncharted waters. But if there was some visiblity of the unplayed, big or small scenarios, I believe it would help get them played.
08-15-2013, 05:01 PM,
They have probably all been played. Look at the information supplied here in the 'played' section by a very low percentage of members. With around 597 members (though I am sure some are double ID'd here and there), the input should be far larger. Some of those members (at least as many again as those that contribute here) have very large collections and have never ever recorded a play. That statistically must be wrong. I believe there are an awful lot more plays out there trapped in their PG box screaming to be logged !
08-15-2013, 11:19 PM,
I have to agree with Vince. If there was one thing I would wish it would be that those who have not logged plays would begin doing so. Every so often a player comes out of the woodwork who has played many scenarios and kept records over time. Then we end up with a bunch of plays being logged in a short period of time (like I did when I came to the site.).

As I'm sure Vince and Daniel will confirm, it helps to have played some of the sports games (Strat-o-matic for me APBA for others) where keeping statistics is kind of a by product of playing the games. We get used to keeping statistics.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-16-2013, 01:14 AM,
I too have a fairly large number of plays from prior to the opening of the gates to PG-HQ. Unfortunately, all I have are play dates and results. I simply kept track of my wins and losses by date. If I were to load them all in all I would be able to do is give them a "3" in the absence of any other data. I still maintain this database (such as it is), and the only place where I rate a scenario is still here at HQ.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!